Talk

Advanced search

Maths at Cambridge (new requirement for 2019)

(7 Posts)
Pallando Wed 01-Nov-17 14:37:36

In case anyone has not spotted this, anyone applying to do Maths at Cambridge in 2019 (so probably current year 12) will need a full A-level in Further Maths. There will also be changes to the STEP spec to reflect the changes in A-levels.
www.magd.cam.ac.uk/mathematics-and-mathematics-with-physics/

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 03-Nov-17 10:19:18

Well worth flagging that up Pallando, some colleges with few oxbridge applicants may not be telling their students that.

longtallwalker Fri 12-Jan-18 13:01:49

Fantastic. Not all state schools offer it sad

Pallando Fri 12-Jan-18 13:18:56

Try contacting the Further Maths Support Programme furthermaths.org.uk/ and see if they can help in any way.

longtallwalker Sat 13-Jan-18 15:46:44

Thanks. DD was lucky to attend a comp that did do further maths but we know that may not last forever, and many other local schools
Didn't.

Pallando Mon 15-Jan-18 08:20:01

It is a bit of a problem. Some schools club together to offer Further Maths in twilight sessions, some use FMSP. I cannot see the new funding arrangements for A-level helping here either.

The flip side is that trying to do Maths at Cambridge on just a single maths A-level would be incredibly difficult. IMO someone who was good enough to cope with Maths at Cambridge on a single A-level would also be good enough to "self-teach" F Maths (but this is obviously far from ideal!).

Pallando Mon 15-Jan-18 08:24:36

It may also be a factor in deciding which school/sixth form to go to for A-levels? If you know you are going to need FM, then you can have that discussion with your school and maybe look elsewhere if they will not offer it (again, not ideal!).

FWIW when I was at school, I told them that I wanted to do FM, and if they couldn't offer it I would go elsewhere. They decided to run it (me and one other, lunchtime lessons etc but better than nothing!). I have taught at another school (comp) where the head has said that even if just one person wants to do FM he will run it as he understands the value of it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: