Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Advice/help needed it's been a while :/

(9 Posts)
Lu223 Mon 02-Oct-17 21:07:24

Hi, wondered if anyone had some help/advice for me.
I currently work as a nursery nurse, I have been for the last 5 years, I did my level 2 in the children and young peoples workforce and then went on to do level 3, through working at a nursery setting I have gained other qualifications needed for the setting such as health and safety, food handling, first aid ect, I was looking at returning to education and studying to become a teacher after looking online I’m so confused, what courses would I be able to do? Someone said I’d need to do an access course, when I looked into this everything that’s covered I’ve already done plus more in my training courses previously and through experience of working with children, any advice/help would be much appreciated! Sorry if this doesn’t make sense.
Thank you.

catslife Tue 03-Oct-17 16:10:25

The basic requirements for teacher training are on the link (see below)
www.ucas.com/ucas/teacher-training/getting-started/ucas-teacher-training-entry-requirements
1. You need at least grade C (or4) in GCSE Maths and English (they don't accept equivalents for these qualifications. For primary you also need grade C (or 4) in Science. If you don't have these qualifications you will need to take these first. (you may be allowed to take one subject alongside a level 3 course).

2. Not all level 3 qualifications are accepted as equivalent to A levels. If you aren't sure then the best approach would be to email a few universities and ask. If your level 3 qualification isn't acceptable as an A level alternative, then you would have to take a relevant Access course.

LIZS Tue 03-Oct-17 16:14:46

Was it an Extended Level 3 Diploma? Do you have gcses in English and Maths? If not you may need the Access course to apply.

catslife Tue 03-Oct-17 19:20:58

It could be that your level 3 qualification is not equivalent to 3 A levels.
I know the extended CACHE level 3 diploma is equivalent to 3 A levels but your qualification may only be equivalent to 1 or 2 A levels.

Lu223 Wed 04-Oct-17 08:41:18

Hi, I did cache level 3 diploma, I’m hoping not to have to do an access course, I have GCSEs in maths, English and science above a c grade but I did my GCSE’s over 10 years ago now, I’ve emailed a few universities, hopefully I’ll hear something back, thank you for taking the time to reply.

FlourishandBlotts Tue 10-Oct-17 10:36:21

I'm not too sure on this but I'm sure most universities will want you to of done recent study within the last 5 years, how recent is your level 3?

What route are you thinking of going down?

catslife Wed 11-Oct-17 11:29:37

The recent study may be applicable for mature students wanting a career change or who have obtained a qualification and then worked in a different field.
However the OP since obtaining her level 3 has been working within a relevant area and therefore has experience of working with children. By taking additional short courses, the OP has also shown that she is interested in continued professional development.
I hope the OP comes back to update us with her progress.

Lu223 Fri 20-Oct-17 12:22:08

Hi, a quick update I have been looking into it and have found out I can do a foundation degree for 2 years in the field I’d like to do and then a top up one year course to make it a BA honours degree smile thank you for all the help. After checking with ucas and realising I have enough points I’ve now been looking into different university’s and have started the application process. Fingers crossed for me smile

Patchouli666 Sun 22-Oct-17 09:09:33

Exciting times! Good luck xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now