Talk

Advanced search

alternatives to a-levels

(8 Posts)
Trying2bgd Tue 19-Sep-17 22:21:01

My DD is doing GCSEs currently and have been discussing what comes next after she has finished but I realise that beyond A-levels, I don't really know anymore.

I would be grateful for any insights or links to websites that contain all this info.

Trying2bgd Wed 20-Sep-17 08:11:41

bump

StaplesCorner Wed 20-Sep-17 11:46:52

Our local authority had a booklet entitled something like "post 16 choices" - maybe worth a look on website? or just Google "Post 16 education Manchester" or whatever area you are in

Trying2bgd Wed 20-Sep-17 11:52:56

ta x

chocolateworshipper Wed 20-Sep-17 13:23:31

BTEC courses are brilliant for someone that finds exams hard, or for someone that definitely knows what career they want and wants to focus on one practical subject (e.g. IT, Health & Social Care).

Apprenticeships are another route - it's a way of earning money whilst studying for a qualification (although many pay very badly).

Unofficially, some leave school at 16 and go into FT employment. DD has several friends that did this and there doesn't seem to be any problems with it.

TeenTimesTwo Tue 26-Sep-17 14:40:15

A Levels in many ways keep the most options open but only if the DC is actually going to succeed in them.

If the DC is predicted to get 4s and 5s (Cs and low Bs in old money) then the outlook for succeeding at A levels may not be so great.

The trouble with BTECs though is they channel you somewhat down a vocational path, and if at 16 you don't know what you want to do that can be hard.

Apprenticeships get them earning money and out in the world of work, but some school leavers aren't yet mature enough, and again if they aren't sure that's what they want to do it can be hard motivating them to go out to work for £3.50 an hour.

My DD is 18, she attempted an A level + BTEC at college but dropped the A level. She is now doing an apprenticeship in an unrelated area.

Your DD can make multiple applications (A levels, BTEC) now, and then see how she feels after exams.

Trying2bgd Tue 26-Sep-17 16:08:27

Thanks for replies, there is a lot to think about and luckily we have time to do some reading. The school she is at assumes all of their children will do A-levels which isn't very helpful.

chocolateworshipper Tue 26-Sep-17 16:58:23

Just to add that they don't have to do a BTEC extended diploma (equivalent to 3 A levels). They can do a single diploma plus 2 A levels, 2 single diplomas plus an A level or 3 single diplomas (3 different subjects). A BTEC in Business certainly keeps options open, and personally I think a BTEC in IT does too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now