Advanced search

Adult education for a non-English person

(3 Posts)
Claudinette1978 Wed 16-Aug-17 14:59:04

Hi there !

I have been leaving in the uk for nearly 20 years. When I left France, I only had a Btec in secretary...I'd love to do another job now but I don't understand how to start and what can I do ? For example, lots of people would like me to teach them French but I don't think I could do it without learning a methodology. I understand I'd need to get a degree before being able to train as teacher but would it be possible and what degree could I get if it was possible ?

Shall I speak to some sort of advisor ? I'm ready to start from the beginning again but is there a learning Center who takes people like me ?

LIZS Wed 16-Aug-17 15:06:50

There are specific accredited qualifications for those wanting to teach adults (age 19+) such as Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Sector from City and Guilds which is a much shorter course including a microteach and doesn't require a degree. For government funded Adult Ed they may still prefer a degree in a related subject but not for private classes or non Government funded providers. You could approach your local further education college or adult education provider to discuss what their recruitment criteria would be and if there are any additional qualifications they would expect. Many will run the course mentioned above, or an equivalent.

Claudinette1978 Wed 16-Aug-17 15:22:30

Hi Lizs,

Thank you for getting back to me and not ridicule me. I have low self-esteem but I really want to study, I'm going to follow your suggestions.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: