Talk

Advanced search

DS kicked out of college, now what

(9 Posts)
Kickedoutnowwhat Sat 27-May-17 19:46:59

Short story, DS, nearly 17 has been an arsehole and college are kicking him out.

They are trying to work it so he finishes this year with something so that it hasn't been a total waste of their time.
But after that no thanks.

Anyone know what he can do next?? Apart from grow the fuck up and stop being an arsehole?? I wish

I've looked at apprenticeships, but some say something about being done in conjunction with the college that is kicking him out, does that rule out all those apprenticeships??

Thanks.

chocolateworshipper Sat 27-May-17 20:19:44

If he will stick out an apprenticeship, he may be able to get a different college to let him do it? Otherwise I would be telling him to get a job (and maybe go back to college when he sorts himself out)

Earlybird Sat 27-May-17 21:05:57

Is he sorry / upset about what has happened?

You can make all the plans in the world for him, but if he doesn't care (or is likely to continue his antics), you are wasting your time.

Maybe tell him he has to get a job. Once he's worked 6 months in a dead end job for minimal pay, he might be more inclined to take his education seriously so that he can have a decent life in future.

forgottenusername Sat 27-May-17 21:07:38

Earlybird I don't think it's possible just to get a job - under 18s have to be in some form of education or training now...

chocolateworshipper Sat 27-May-17 21:16:54

forgot - you are absolutely right that's the theory, but DD has 17yo friends who are working and not in an apprenticeship. I suspect that the authorities turn a blind eye so long as they're not showing up on unemployment figures or causing any trouble

Earlybird Sat 27-May-17 21:21:20

I absolutely understand that you want to 'fix' this for him. But, what is his reaction to what has transpired? What does he think should happen next?

It might do him the world of good to really understand how dramatically he has narrowed his future prospects. Perhaps let him wallow in the mess he's made for a little while. The hope is that he'll eventually be gagging for a second chance, and will be more responsible when/if that chance comes.

Kickedoutnowwhat Sat 27-May-17 23:20:14

Thanks guys,

His attitude, it's not his fault....nothing ever is!

He reckons he'll get a job.....!

Either way I won't be able to afford him at home if he doesn't.

outabout Sat 27-May-17 23:24:08

Well at least get him on the cleaning and cooking etc so he can learn something useful.
Household chores, gardening, you name it.

Wolfiefan Sat 27-May-17 23:24:40

I hope you're not paying for phone and wifi etc? Time for him to grow up and take some responsibility.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now