Ádvice needed re college support

(6 Posts)
darwiniandreams Tue 18-Apr-17 23:10:20

I have a dd which is currently in her first year at college. Last week she had an accident where she fell off her horse. She has suffered a concussion. She has no memory of the accident.

The hospital have ran tests etc and state that there is no damage to her head/skull.

My concern now is that her memory has suffered a great deal and has 'forgotten' most of the work covered for her subjects. Her working memory is now quite poor and has trouble recalling conversations from the day or whether she has brushed her teeth etc. As the college has been closed for Easter I phoned this morning and spoke to her mentor. I was very disappointed with the response I received considering the gravity of the accident and the implications.

My question is not medical as I am happy with the treatment she recieved. What strategies should college be offering my dd now and what can I expect to happen in terms of her exams in June?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cornishmumofone Tue 18-Apr-17 23:24:20

The college probably doesn't have a standard procedure in place for this as it's not like when a student breaks an arm and can be allocated a scribe or a computer. It's likely that you will need to request specific help, such as asking tutors to ensure she has written down assignments and made a note of deadlines (perhaps on her phone with reminders). Your daughter's friends may also be able to help ear. However, with regards to the memory loss, I'm not sure what else the college can do, apart from recommending that your daughter attends all of the revision sessions that are offered.

darwiniandreams Tue 18-Apr-17 23:33:01

Thank you for replying Cornishmumofone .
Her friends are being lovely and have been helping where they can. The college have mentioned applying for her circumstances to be reviewed when it comes to having her papers marked and getting extra time but have been quite vague. DD does not seem phased, its me that requires a lot of wine. She has always been sharp when she needs to be. Her subjects are quite heavy - Geology Biology Geography and P.E. I am thinking of advising her to drop a subject but would like to do so once I'm fully informed. flowers

chocolateworshipper Wed 19-Apr-17 12:07:34

Her mentor may not know what is possible. It might be worth speaking to the examinations officer, as he/she is more likely to be aware of what support is available for the exams. I would also insist that all of her teachers are aware of what has happened, so that they are not telling her off if she is forgetful in lessons.

darwiniandreams Wed 19-Apr-17 12:57:51

I hadn't thought of the exams officer. I will try them, thanks!

Her Geology tutor believes she shouldn't have too much of a problem as she is performing very well and that any drop in her grade would still mean a good grade. We'll have to see. P.E. have benched her and quite rightly so for a week or two, which she is not too happy about as she is being moderated soon. Biology and Geography have said they will have to work hard to remember fact and equations etc. She is only revising the subjects she is finding easier hmm.

I would like her to have realistic expectations of the coming months without giving her the go - ahead to be lazy grin.

darwiniandreams Thu 20-Apr-17 16:04:16

Thank you Cornishmumofone and chocolateworshipper for your advice. The college student support and one of her tutors have contacted me with regards to next steps. I'm feeling a little more optimistic. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now