Advanced search

Disability, funding

(2 Posts)
CeciledeVolanges Mon 17-Apr-17 18:37:57

Hi everyone! I hope you don't mind me asking a question. I've been accepted for a further education course next year and I've been wondering if I should apply for disability-related funding or if it would be wrong/pointless. I currently work full time but I do have MH problems which do have an impact on my day to day life - I find it hard to concentrate, get tired easily, and often find social situations difficult especially if they involve food, I also have panic attacks occasionally and anxiety. Physically I have IBS, recurring severe anaemia, acid reflux, and osteoporosis, so I do have problems which impact on my day to day life but it is hard to point to particular sources of expenditure or specific reasonable adjustments that could be made beyond having someone keep an eye on me. Honestly, and this feels awful, if I had a grant it would mean I would have to work less overtime before starting the course and could get some rest, and it would help with prescription and travel costs to appointments. If anyone has any experience, opinion or advice to offer, I would be really grateful to hear it, or if you just don't think I'm disabled (these things do impact on my life significantly but I still work and get about) and want to insult me or something that's OK too. Thanks in advance.

HSMMaCM Mon 24-Apr-17 12:06:39

If you are applying for finance, you can also apply for a disabled student allowance. Mental health is included in this. You will need to attend an assessment before they decide what they can offer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now