Talk

Advanced search

Sixth forms in Wales

(6 Posts)
user1492362793 Sun 16-Apr-17 18:25:35

Hi!
We are moving to Wales soon and I would like some advice on sixth forms in the north Wales area. Having lived in England I don't know anything about how the Welsh education system works. My son will be doing A levels but only speaks English. (We're learning Welsh, but it's a slow process!). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Diloch!

mamapants Sun 16-Apr-17 18:26:46

Where are you moving to?
What subjects does he want to study

user1492362793 Sun 16-Apr-17 19:13:17

Hi mamapants,
Hopefully moving to somewhere near Conway, but could also be near Bala! (It's not certain yet) and my son will probably want to do PE, ICT and Biology I think, depending on GCSE results. Thanks for your reply.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 16-Apr-17 19:15:18

Have you tried posting on MN Conwy user?

mamapants Tue 18-Apr-17 09:11:22

I don't really know much about the schools in either area. I think in Conwy you would have more of a mix between English first language and Welsh first language in the school. While in Bala it would mostly be Welsh first language. I would assume in both schools you would be able to study a levels in English. In Bala it would probably be in the same class as they teach it in Welsh in Conwy you might have dedicated English medium classes. But best bet would be to go to the schools and talk to them.
I don't think there is much difference otherwise at a level.

user1492362793 Tue 18-Apr-17 11:41:28

Thank you so much, that's really helpful. Will keep you posted!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now