Talk

Advanced search

TEFL

(7 Posts)
fuzzyfozzy Wed 29-Mar-17 14:24:38

I have a teaching degree but I'm interested in a job that required a TEFL qualification.
Having had a quick look, I could do online or over a weekend.
Has anyone any experience which is best, there also seems to be some with more and less hours?

airedailleurs Wed 29-Mar-17 14:57:50

Former EFT teacher here. I wouldn't do it online, go for one where you can get practical experience. Whereabouts in the country are you? Options would be an intensive one-month course if time is of the essence and you aren't working now, or an FE college might offer a 3-month course (that's how I got my qualification).

Also, hope you're not offended if I point out that it's 'fewer hours', not 'less' wink...nothing like a TEFL background to turn you into a grammar nazi smile

airedailleurs Wed 29-Mar-17 14:58:20

I meant 'EFL teacher', of course ...

Donostia Wed 29-Mar-17 15:07:14

I'd do it properly. I'm working in ELT and to stand apart from the million gap year students it is better to have a recognised, good qualification rather than internet based courses which are looked down on. Most of my employers have only accepted employees with a CELTA. Being linked to Cambridge University it is generally well respected all over Europe. Also you can then work for their examining bodies. They are the most expensive ones, but the quality of the course was outstanding. My sister had an online certificate (for her gap year) but couldn't find work with it as they didn't recognise it.

airedailleurs Wed 29-Mar-17 20:13:54

Yes absolutely, go for a Cambridge course (back in the day when I did mine, the best courses were run by the RSA but I believe that has disappeared now).

Donostia are you teaching in the city of that name by any chance?

Donostia Wed 29-Mar-17 21:10:33

yes.... a giveaway username! most people don't know it in that language!!!

fuzzyfozzy Wed 29-Mar-17 22:34:48

Fantastic. Thanks for that information, I spent a while this afternoon but struggled to find which courses were actually valued. Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now