Talk

Advanced search

What Next For My Son?

(3 Posts)
rosie230 Wed 15-Mar-17 16:52:59

Hi, so my son has had some issues at school, which basically has caused him to only go to school till 11.30 in the morning, and he only studies Maths and English now, he has dropped all his other GCSE subjects. My question is this... He will not get through his GCSE's to get a pass grade, as he has no interest in anything like that at all. But because he has to stay in education until he is 18, I am realy unsure as to what he wants to do, or where he can go. His school have been useless, I have emailed them searching for answers, but as yet 3 weeks on they havent answered, Does anyone know where he could go from here? Back in my day it would have been easier for him to just forget school and get a job, he has had oppotunites to work, but cant because of the new laws.

eatingtomuch Wed 15-Mar-17 22:04:07

He doesn't need to stay in school or college.
He can work if they provide training but to be honest this is not policed and if he got a job with no training there would currently be no consequences for you or your son.
He could look for an apprenticeship as they provide work and training.
Ask your local job centre for opportunities for young people with the potential to become NEET at the end of year 11.

catslife Thu 16-Mar-17 16:16:59

* But because he has to stay in education until he is 18, I am realy unsure as to what he wants to do, or where he can go.*
Not quite true. He can work provided there is some sort of work based training involved including an apprenticeship.
Please see link for details www.careerpilot.org.uk/info/your-choices-at-16/work-or-voluntary-work-route.
Another place to start is the Princes Trust www.princes-trust.org.uk/help-for-young-people/referring-young-people. They are good at providing support for young people who aren't really fitting in at school.
Hope you find the support your son needs soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now