Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Best place to learn sign languagr

(9 Posts)
debbs77 Sun 05-Mar-17 21:58:46

Hi all, I wondered if anyone can recommend a good home study course to learn sign language?

lacebell10 Mon 06-Mar-17 23:36:55

There are a lot of online courses. You want one that does tutorials by Skype. Some will be examined by Signature and some by Institute of British Sign Language. Facebook group BSL-British Sign Language will give some.opinions

nursebickypegs Tue 07-Mar-17 00:08:16

Get in contact with a local deaf club/group. My old college teacher use to private tutor sign language students. Are you doing it as a hobby, or for career goals? To sit the exams you will have to pay around £50 a time, and the first year of BSL level 1 is about £99 and you have 3 exams!

debbs77 Tue 07-Mar-17 00:47:13

I am thinking of it career wise as it would help in any future career xx

debbs77 Tue 07-Mar-17 00:51:27

www.british-sign.co.uk/learn-online-british-sign-language-course/

I was looking at this xx

lacebell10 Tue 07-Mar-17 07:59:15

I would be wary as it doesn't say who your teachers are. The assessment won't mean anything as it's not by an approved qualification board. A good resources is the dummy book of BSL uk version. I know the people who wrote it and it is credible. It will at least give you an awareness of what you need to think about.
www.bslcourses.co.uk/ look okay. Look on either the Signature website or iBSL for approved exam providers

debbs77 Tue 07-Mar-17 08:54:07

That's excellent, thank you x

debbs77 Tue 07-Mar-17 09:52:37

That's a really great link, thank you

TheDrsDocMartens Tue 11-Apr-17 19:45:54

You need courses approved by signature or IBSL.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now