Talk

Advanced search

Application of number level 3

(7 Posts)
spongebob5 Fri 03-Mar-17 16:18:31

DD has applied to do nursing & is expected to get the grades needed for her A levels. The problem is she hasn't passed her maths GCSE . She is resitting but if she fails again , we are looking for another route. The university's accept application of number level 3, does anyone know where she might be able to sit it? In our local colleges it is only offered to students studying subject such as the sciences, maths or business studies - she's not studying any of these subjects. She is having private maths tutoring also.

LIZS Fri 03-Mar-17 16:21:46

Are you sure it is level 3 required? Gcse standard is level 2.

highinthesky Fri 03-Mar-17 16:24:38

Whatever the level, DD needs to get a grip on her maths.

She cannot afford to make a mistake in administering meds, infusions in particular. Basic maths cannot beat her.

hellsbells99 Sat 04-Mar-17 08:48:10

Op - look at the iGcse maths papers online and see if these are more accessible to your DD. The language used in them is much easier to understand.

spongebob5 Sat 04-Mar-17 22:41:17

Lizs, yes definitely level 3, dd herself said that level 2 is GCSE and level 3 usually equivalent to alevel. She has been told that the level 3 application of number is equivalent to a B grade GCSE.

She was going to sit an iGCSE privately but the dates of the exams clashed with one of her alevel exams so couldn't sit that.

harridan50 Sat 04-Mar-17 22:47:08

I am a hcp you need to be able to calculate iv infusions, medications etc. Maths is a basic requirement. I would be concerned if she has not passed basic gcse first time.

spongebob5 Sat 04-Mar-17 23:07:47

Harridan I am also a hpc & got into university through an access course. Guess what? I haven't got GCSE maths either. This doesn't stop me from being able to safely administer medications.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now