Advanced search

Can I self-study an A Level?

(7 Posts)
LouLouLoveHeart Wed 22-Feb-17 12:55:33

So I'm looking at distance learning courses for a-level and I can't quite work out if I need to actually 'sign up' with anyone or if I can just book myself in and self study?

I keep going around the internet and can't get it straight in my head.

Does anyone have any tips please?

LouLouLoveHeart Wed 22-Feb-17 13:11:45

Has anyone used Oxford Learning College?

Blameitonthenight67 Thu 23-Feb-17 21:33:05

It's best to use a distance learning provider as you get tutor support.

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Thu 23-Feb-17 21:39:39

My ds self-studied Physics A level after failing to get into the class in 6th form as he only got a B in physics at GCSE and 6th form insisted on an A. He studied Maths, Further Maths and chemistry at 6th form, and self-studied physics.

He just got the text books and went for it. After a few months we did get him a tutor for an hour a week to check he was doing ok. We negotiated that the 6th form would let him sit the physics exams there although we had to pay for them.

He took his A levels last summer and got an A in Physics. So yes, perfectly possible if you are motivated. However, I would definitely recommend that you get some sort of support to ensure you're on track, a distance learning course might be the best route.

Maddaddam Tue 28-Feb-17 16:55:27

I studied for a Spanish A level with Oxford Open Learning - is that the one you're asking about? I found them quite good - in particular my tutor was very good, I mean by that she suited me very well. I don't think I could have studied Spanish A level just with self study even though I'm very used to studying (I'm an academic in my day job), as I needed the feedback on accuracy, and there were aural conversations and tests I had over the phone, but other subjects might be easier.

debbs77 Sun 05-Mar-17 22:04:03

Open Study College is meant to be good xx

krendi Wed 22-Mar-17 13:15:28

I have an odd question that I have been researching with no results. We moved to Spain from the US where my son was homeschooled. He entered college just before we moved. I am having a hard time trying to navigate this new system for college. I don't know what he needs to apply. He does not have an official high school diploma, as in the US homeschooled kids don't get them. However, you can enter college in the US without this. I have been told that is not the case here. I am trying to find out if he can get an A certificate or something that will allow him to apply for colleges. He is a self learner and wants to study languages and history. I appreciate any help that anyone can give me as I am completely lost in this new system.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: