Talk

Advanced search

Thinking of training to be a History teacher, doing an OU Course. An idiots step by step guide would be very useful please!

(3 Posts)
MissHooliesclassmonitor Fri 10-Feb-17 20:42:41

Am starting from a knowledge of pretty much zero so I have a few questions!!
I am signing up for an OU course in History. In 4/6 years when that is done what are the next steps please?
Did you get funding if you are still working (26 hours a week in term time)?
If so how much please?
TIA

rightsaidfrederickII Sat 11-Feb-17 15:57:02

Once you've got your degree, there are a few different paths you can go down to get your teaching qualification

- PGCE - a one year full time teacher training course combining theory with placements. Run by universities.

- Teach First - a two year programme, which is a bit more like an apprenticeship for teachers, and is designed to get good graduates into teaching (often those who might not otherwise have considered it) www.teachfirst.org.uk/leaders-life

- Schools Direct - one year on the job training, with the intention being that you take a job in that school / one in the same network afterwards getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/explore-my-options/teacher-training-routes/school-led-training/school-direct

Funding varies based on things like location, programme and what subject you're teaching, but you'd realistically need to give up your 26 hours pw job during your teacher training and rely on the other forms of funding.

MissHooliesclassmonitor Tue 14-Feb-17 16:19:23

Thank you rightsaidfrederickII you have put that in such an easy to understand way! xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now