Talk

Advanced search

Anyone done a AAT level one?

(6 Posts)
newstartamiready Tue 07-Feb-17 12:19:26

I want to get into book keeping and came across this, I have qualifications upto level 4 but not in book keeping.

The course is level 1, and it takes about 6 weeks. I would love to hear if anyone has done it? If it's useful? Can you get work with just that or would you need to progress to a level 2 perhaps?

Any information would be great as I have never done book keeping before smile

frazzled3ds Tue 07-Feb-17 12:23:51

I did the Foundation and Intermediate levels some years ago. It is useful if you're going to be involved in any role that has some element of bookkeeping or finance in it. I've not really used it much since though, considering going back to finish it off at some point! To get in to full blown accountancy type roles you'd need to do the other levels as well, although some places will advertise for part-qualified AAT and may well then support the cost of further training.

Good luck!

newstartamiready Tue 07-Feb-17 12:28:17

Thank you for the reply, was the foundation course a foundation degree? I think this level one will be much lower than degree level.
Mi am mainly thinking it would be useful to have just for general office work or if at some stage I open my own business to do all my own book keeping!

frazzled3ds Tue 07-Feb-17 12:44:49

I think the Foundation level was equivalent to Level 2, Intermediate Level 3 and had I done it the final one would have been Level 4. I did it part time at my local college, one day a week for a year, so it may well be a more in depth course. If you have a look at the AAT website they'll have a breakdown on there on the various qualifications and levels etc.

The kind of stuff covered in the first one was things like debits and credits, trial balance, balance sheets and basic journal entries, and then the next one went into more detail on things like costings - it's been a while though so I may not be quite right on that!! It is useful stuff to know, I really should make more of an effort to use it!

LexieLulu Tue 07-Feb-17 12:48:39

I've done it, I'm an accountant rather than a bookkeeper but I didn't continue onto my chartered due to family issues at the time.

I did it around ten years ago now, and I am aware the course has got harder than when I did it.

It was very easy, straight forward, and gives you a good grasp of basics. And it's great to have a qualification behind you.

LexieLulu Tue 07-Feb-17 12:49:51

Also if you decide to be an accountant, obtaining the full AAT diploma (to level 4) gives you lots of exemptions for future qualifications

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now