Talk

Advanced search

Can I just take GCSE English & maths at college without doing a full time course?

(3 Posts)
1bluesky1 Mon 30-Jan-17 00:14:35

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post, but just asking here as I can't find the answer for it online...

Basically as a bit of a background, I am 18 years old and currently on my first year of a full time course at college, whilst also doing foundation/entry English and Maths (Compulsory as i'm under 19 and didn't take my GCSE's when I was 16).

What I want to know is, if I go back to college for a second year after the summer holidays this year, can I decide to just take my GCSE in English and Maths (Which I think I can do after doing foundation/entry in this current term) at the college, but not do an actual specific full time course at the college, or will I have to do a full time course whilst doing my GCSE's? As I really want to at least have a C or above in English and Maths, but will be starting work by the time of the start of the new 2017-2018 term so doing a full time course won't be practical, although I will be able to have the time during the week to attend the GCSE English and Maths at college for a few hours. I will be 19 by this time if that makes a difference. As i'm a bit confused about it, as I have heard that it is possible to get up to a C in foundation/entry English & Maths anyway without doing GCSE, but then others have said that you have to take GCSE after doing your first year of foundation/entry.

I hope what I have said makes sense, as I am not too clued up on all the differences between GCSE, Foundation/Entry, and how it all works.

Thanks. smile

catslife Mon 30-Jan-17 08:43:17

Entry level qualifications are below GCSE standard.
Level 1 is roughly equivalent to a "Foundation" GCSE BUT the highest you can get is equivalent to a grade D (not a C).
Level 2 is equivalent to grades A*-C.
So either you need to take level 2 next year or consider taking GCSEs.
tps://www.learndirect.com/help/about-learndirect/learning-with-learndirect/qualification-equivalency
BUT the other complication is that GCSE Maths and English have changed. It's now 9-1 grades rather than A*-C. As far as I know the final opportunity to take the old A*-C GCSE is this Summer 2017 and after that all candidates (including those over 16 need to take the 9-1 GCSE).
It's possible that at some point the level 2 will be changed to make it compatible with the new 9-1 GCSEs.
IF you haven't taken any GCSEs there are schemes available to help adults who haven't got these qualifications but you need to ask at the college.
Hope that helps.

LIZS Mon 30-Jan-17 08:48:56

Yes you can take them as standalone but to get gcse equivalent it must be at level 2. What course are you currently taking?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now