Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

College

(4 Posts)
user1484910809 Fri 20-Jan-17 11:17:43

Hi will i get fined if my 17 year old doesn't go to college, is this legal or illegal? Thanks

LauraFlossy88 Fri 20-Jan-17 11:58:37

Can I ask what they'll be doing instead?

LIZS Fri 20-Jan-17 12:01:09

He needs to be in employment or education. Has he been deregistered from his course yet? What are his plans instead? In practice you are unlikely to be fined but you may lose entitlement to child benefit, tax credits etc.

LauraFlossy88 Fri 20-Jan-17 12:05:06

From citizensadvice.org.uk

In England a young person must continue in education or training until their 18th birthday.

This does not necessarily mean a young person will have to stay on at school after Year 11. The compulsory school leaving age is not being raised, so the young person cannot be forced to stay in school or college, nor participate in post-16 education or training. A young person will be given a choice about how they want to participate post-16, which could be through:

- full-time education, such as school or college
- work-based learning, such as an apprenticeship
- part-time education or training if they're employed, self employed or volunteering for 20 hours or more a week.

The local authority is responsible for making sure that a young person has a suitable offer of a place in post 16-education or training.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now