Talk

Advanced search

A level predictions

(9 Posts)
allinahuddle Tue 06-Dec-16 18:02:08

Just wanted some views on this really. DS got As and A* at GCSE in his subjects and AAB at AS level but has been predicted BBB at A level. His reference states that he is very capable and one of the most able in his class and he works hard so am a bit surprised by his predictions. The course he wants to do requires AAA minimum which he thinks he can get. Just wondering whether he has any hope of an offer for what he wants to do with predictions below the course requirements. Not sure how much flexibility (if any) there is with uni offers. Any information appreciated as at the moment I don't know what advice to give him.

BackforGood Tue 06-Dec-16 23:01:38

dd has 4 offers so far, with grades below your ds's and predictions that are better than her grades, but overall lower than the offers that she's had.

Don't know if that answers your question, other than to say they will make offers for students predicted grades lower than the offer they make.

NewIdeasToday Tue 06-Dec-16 23:05:07

It would be best to go back and negotiate with the school/ college to increase his predictions in line with AS grades. Otherwise there's a danger that he won't get the offers he wants.

catslife Wed 07-Dec-16 10:11:26

I would have thought that the actual grades he received in external AS exams would carry more weight than the predictions to be honest.
However just because he's one of the more capable in his class doesn't guarantee an A grade, it depends on the ability of the cohort compared to that nationally. Many able students obtain B grades at A level.
Are these the new reformed linear A levels or the old-style ones where the AS grades count towards the final result.
If it's the new linear A level then results are harder to predict as there aren't any previous results to compare current students against. The new syllabus is harder and it is possible that pupils who have obtained A grades in previous years may not do so this year.

titchy Wed 07-Dec-16 18:26:36

That's pretty crap actually and if he's applying for competitive courses could well cost him a place. He should go back to his tutors and ask them to at least predict based on his AS grades - in fact there's no justification for anything else.

And given that there is only a few weeks left he should tackle this urgently.

titchy Wed 07-Dec-16 18:27:40

An A at AS with the new spec should be a very good indication catslife..

HarryTheFluff Wed 07-Dec-16 18:36:58

Is he at state school? For some reason they seem to predict really low grades at A level.
I got all A-B GCSEs and was told I was predicted a D and 2 Es at A Level (this was purely on the basis of GCSE grades not on my performance on the courses). Funnily enough I managed to do a bit better than predicted.
I don't know why they do it it's very unmotivating and might lead to uni places not being offered. I would ask them to reconsider and change the predicted grades...

Peebles1 Sun 01-Jan-17 11:39:51

This happened with my DS. I asked about it at parents' night and the teacher said it was because they take into account the leap from GCSE to A-level, and outside influences such as discovering girls, an increasing social life, etc.

Interesting! However, DS did well in his first year exams and when it came to the personal statements for uni the teacher just upped the predicted grades to what the offer was.

Mindgone Tue 10-Jan-17 00:19:04

Is it too late to pester the teachers? If he does much better than his predictions, he could always take a year out and apply with known grades, that's what my DS did.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now