Another degree as a mum?

(7 Posts)
bronteales Mon 07-Nov-16 09:24:23

Hello lovely mumsnetters

I just wanted to have a bit of advice here. I currently have a degree in health studies BSc. I graduated in 2011 and in that time have had a baby and worked a few jobs here and there but nothing I've loved except for s job working as a clinical assistant in a baby scanning clinic which I loved! This was before I had my daughter. We have now moved area so I haven't gone back to that job but still in touch with the owner.

Anyway whilst working there I had a pang and lust after wanting to be a sonographer in the future, it's probably the only thing I have ever really wanted to do or felt passionate about.

Fast forward to now my daughter is 18months and due to start pre school in March when she is 2. I am seriously considering doing a radiography degree to be able to go and become a sonographer.

I have investigated everything, funding and how to get into the course and I need to apply by January. It's very competitive and I may not get in but it's the only thing I want to do. I have a very supportive partner and family and on the whole everyone has told me i should go for it or I'll be forever wondering what if.

I just wanted to see if anyone has any advice or experience on doing a degree when they have a little one? If anyone has completed this degree? Am I mad? grin

BikeRunSki Mon 07-Nov-16 09:35:52

My mum did a law degree as a mum. She had 2 children when she started and 4 when she finished! She took her finals 38 weeks pg! This was in the 1970s, but shoes it can be done. She used to leave me in my carrycot behind the till at the uni bookshop.And I think she deferred must years at least once!

Cakedoesntjudge Mon 07-Nov-16 09:51:13

I'm doing a law degree now with the OU, I started the year before DS started school. I would advise finding some part time childcare, I used a pre school for 2 mornings on top of the childcare I had for my PT job.

I'm not going to lie, on top of being a single parent and working, even though DS is now at school, there are weeks where it is really really tough but I'm on course to get a 2:1 and hoping to bump it up to a 1st. It's doable as long as you accept that you'll be knackered!

I think it's definitely worth it though. I became pregnant around the time I was planning to go to uni so have ended up stuck in an unskilled job I hate. Even if I could have afforded to stay FT when exp left, I would have been on a low wage and struggled, as it was, it would cost me more in childcare than I would earn. I hate that and can't wait to have the qualifications to get a job that means I can afford to work more and not rely on top ups. It's also taught me how to be more disciplined, juggle a million things and work under pressure. I've not once regretted it.

If you go for it, good luck!

Sharptic Mon 07-Nov-16 10:34:11

I'm currently studying radiography and thinking about sonography post grad! It's certainly doable. Pm me if u want any details 😃

bronteales Mon 07-Nov-16 13:23:49

Thank you so much for all your responses!!

Sharptic amazing your the first person I have met who wants to do the same as me! How do I PM you? I'm not that great on here! I'm obviously at the beginning stages so I've just started on my personal statement. I have been told it's really hard to get through the initial stage and then the interviews and stuff but fingers crossed.

bronteales Mon 07-Nov-16 13:27:22

Cakedoesntjudge - thanks for your honest response I need people to be honest and tell me it's going to be tough. I know I'll struggle but I feel so much more focused than I ever did at 18 starting my first degree. I was all over the place then I feel I know exactly what it is I want now and it's this.

I'm in the same sort of position as you it seems. I don't want to do a full time job that I don't like. If I'm putting my LO in childcare which I will be then it needs to be for the good of something better coming out of it for us.

My dad has made a good point in that I need to get as much feedback about this as possible and if I don't get through this year hen keep trying, and see it as a long term goal.

I can't bare the thought of doing an unskilled 9-5 every day without following my dream. The thought makes men more excited than anything else does and i just want to get stuck in.

Have so much respect for young women and mothers pushing themselves and doing the most for a better future!

elfycat Wed 23-Nov-16 23:04:51

I took an OU Literature degree from 2008-2014 and had DDs in 2009 and 2010. I've just started my MA with the OU (half time student expected to do 16 hours. On the undergraduate that time was OK , now I know I need to do that as a bare minimum every single week).

It's tiring. I've had an extremely busy month with financial commitments taking up near full time hours, a hobby commitment that could be lowered buy not fobbed off, and the first assignment due tomorrow. Plus kids (birthday for one tomorrow, had party already).

You have to keep up or ahead of the study. No last minute essays because a tummy bug will wipe out the time you thought you had, and that's before you contract it.

But it's following my passion and my dream, and I will find that time from somewhere. DDs are 6 and 7.5 now and I believe that by studying now I'm showing them a good example. There's no excuse for not doing their homework when I'm doing mine, and we can sit together (sometimes - I need quiet too) and work. I'm trying to escape the need to return to nursing grin

DH took his OU BEng at the same time as my BA, so as a couple we committed time for study. He's planning to take work related courses now. I've met other students with both supportive and unsupportive partners. And some who started out supportive but couldn't sustain it for the length of a degree. It's important to be clear about the time commitments, and if possible set hours for your study that cannot be interrupted for anything except real emergencies, and have plans for essay due dates.

I've written many an essay at soft play (hell) once they were a little independent and didn't need me following them, though it can be a dud on some days. One summer I regularly noticed 2 other people with the OU logo on their books, so this might be a 'thing'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now