Has anyone done a further education course with young children?

(4 Posts)
Idontknowwhoiam Sun 03-Jul-16 22:21:36

I've recently had dc3. He will be 4 months in Sept. Both my other dc will be in full time school in September.
I am think of starting a level 3 diploma course which is part time and will lead to a slight but more reliable change in career and an increase in wages when I do go back to work.
Has anyone else completed something similar whilst in maternity?
I have a year before I need to return to work and I think that it would be ideal to use this year to improve my prospects.
I'm scared of it being a huge struggle with such young children but also have the feeling that it's now or never...
Any experiences would be helpful in making my decision.

danadas Sun 03-Jul-16 22:46:09

I completed the final year of my degree with a young un.

I was 34 weeks with number 3 when it started and he was 6 months old when I took my finals.

It is definitely doable and I actually found it much easier than the previous 3 which I did with 2 children and working full time. I used to read during the night feeds and got very good at typing one handed!

Good luck

Idontknowwhoiam Mon 04-Jul-16 16:13:43

Thank you x

Milkand2sugarsplease Sat 03-Dec-16 20:20:14

I graduated this summer after going to uni instead of going back to work after my mat leave.
DS was just 9m when I started.

It was a juggling act and I had to be organised and not just keep up but try to keep ahead - no all nighters the night before something was due etc but definitely doable.

Naively I thought the juggling would get easier as he got that bit older but it was actually the other way around. As he got older he obvs understood a bit more that mummy wasn't there sometimes whereas when he was a baby he really wasn't that fussed who put him to bed etc.

So, I'd say - go for it, plan well, keep ahead and enjoy it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now