Talk

Advanced search

worried about going to university

(6 Posts)
user1458471592 Sun 20-Mar-16 11:07:32

Hi I am really worried about going to uni.I am due to start in September and I just don't know what to expect. I am 26 and married and I just don't want uni putting a strain on my marriage.my family think I'm wasting my time going but I've worked hard for 2 years for this please helpconfused

TaintedAngel Sun 20-Mar-16 23:39:42

Uni is hard work. It takes dedication and if you don't have the desire to see it through to the end then you will give up when the going gets tough.
I lost count how many nights I spent in tears with my dp consoling me, or how many times I had a meltdown in one of my lecturers offices. I declared at least a million times I was finished, or I was taking a year out during the three years 😂

But I loved my course. I loved my lecturers even more. I made some good friends and my entire class was really helpful. My DP was supportive and let me vent when i was stressed. That's what got me through the times where I couldn't get my head around a piece of course work or during exam season when life is nothing short of hell.

Having said all of that I would recommend Uni to anyone. If you have a supportive DH who will offer soothing hugs when your stressed then there is no need for it to negatively Impact your marriage. The stress you feel during it is nothing compared to the highs when you do well in coursework. Go for it!

BackforGood Sun 20-Mar-16 23:51:52

Why would university be putting a strain on your marriage?
Do you mean financially?
Or are you going away from home for term time?
Let us know a bit more and we'll see if we can reassure or help you.

Oh, and if you've been at work up to now, I don't think you'll find University difficult at all - it takes up a fraction of the time you will have been spending at work.

user1458471592 Mon 21-Mar-16 09:32:25

I'm prepared for hard work and I really want to graduate my life has never been plain sailing but this is something I love and I'm currently studying a level 3 btec extended diploma and am achieving the highest grades possible on each unit did you ever just feel like your not clever enough? My husband doesn't want me going to university and my family just think it's a waste of time as it doesn't matter if you have a degree or not but it's something I feel is valuable and with a degree I can succeed in life. I was also talking to someone the other day at college who said he literally ran out of money at university that's why he left is it really that much of a financial strain? I will be living at home and travelling daily back and forth to university I'm just worried that I won't fit in or meet anyone there my college hasn't really told me what to expect or prepared me for university in anyway I don't know if I'm just worrying over nothing or is there anything I can do to prepare myself for university life confused

TaintedAngel Mon 21-Mar-16 09:46:17

Its not all that different from college. Just has a slightly different 'vibe' iyswim?
I'm in Scotland so its different financially. We get our student loan - the amount t depending on your household circumstances - and the same with a bursary. For me it came to about £700ish pm. Although I got no money during the summer holidays for 3 months. Its difficult financially but we made it work and just put money aside to fall back on during the summer. I just got a summer job which helped.

If you have the drive to do it then you will get there! Our lecturers said to us that these days so many people have a degree its getting meaningless and you need your honours degree to stand out. I didn't bother with honours year as by that point I was mentally and emotionally done lol. However I think having a degree gives you that bit of an edge over folk who don't have one so it's worth it for that.

bella2016 Mon 21-Mar-16 10:04:13

Well when I join uni I will be doing a BA HONS degree so I will have an honours which is good to know that it stands out the finances also depended on my household income and I'm entitled to£7851 which I think is paid out in 3. Payments here in England I definitely have the passion and the drive to do well just sometimes I don't feel clever enough to pass my course work or in afraid of letting my self down then my family saying I told you you wouldn't do well and that it was pointless in going

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now