Talk

Advanced search

Compulsory Education At 17

(4 Posts)
kateb1975 Wed 20-Jan-16 20:53:21

My niece started her A-Levels in Sept 2015 following her GCSE's. Due to a change in circumstances at home, she moved out shortly after starting them, and in to a hostel. As the hostel wasn't local to school it became increasingly hard for her to cope with her education and looking after herself. At Christmas, she made the decision to move 200 miles from where she was to live with us. Obviously one of my main concerns is to get her education sorted. On reflection, she has decided that an NVQ would be a better path for her, and we found a course at our local college that starts in January and so I thought that we were sorted! However, we went along to enrol tonight and it turns out that the course is not sufficient hours to be considered full time education. Can anyone advise me on what we could do? She has missed too much of her courses to continue with A-levels and so that isn't an option. She can start the NVQ in September but I don't want to be breaking the law by her not being in education from now until September. We are happy to pay for her to do this course just to keep her busy and keep her mind working as long as we're not breaking the law - I am just struggling to find any guidance for this situation. Thanks 😊

eatyourveg Thu 21-Jan-16 16:25:08

I thought the law was that you had to stay in either education training or employment - could she volunteer somewhere to fill her timetable?

sashh Fri 22-Jan-16 07:03:27

What is the NVQ in? There are probably other 'short' courses she could do to fill time, maybe an evening class?

Could she look at BTEC level 3 - she is far too late to do a 'full' BTEC but the course is modular so she might be able to do a module or two.

Alternatively what about online courses, possibly an extra GCSE in something she hasn't got. Things like Law are not usually done at school but can be done by distance learning.

One thing, if she is academic then NVQ is possibly not the best route long term - BTEC might be and so might other qualifications such as A Levels.

Anderson11 Thu 10-Mar-16 15:57:01

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now