Talk

Advanced search

IB - near-miss on points or grades - how do universities react?

(5 Posts)
RandomFriend Tue 04-Aug-15 14:49:34

Does anyone have a DC that has done IB and narrowly missed their points offer (for example, obtaining 37 rather than 38). If so, have you heard from the university and what was the reaction?

I ask because:
- DD has met her offer, but wants to change course to a different subject that has a higher standard offer.
- DDs friend has met her offer in terms of total points but got a 5 on HL maths rather than the 7 requested.

Both are waiting to hear. Please share your experience of how universities have reacted to near-misses at IB.

gonegrey56 Tue 04-Aug-15 14:55:58

Dd's friends in this position had to wait until A level results day to hear what their Universities' decisions were . The near misses did not get their firm choices, but got great courses through clearing (Warwick especially seemed to scoop them up). Just depends I suppose but think much is unclear until A level results are known .
Good luck to your dd who has done brilliantly to make her offer !

RandomFriend Tue 04-Aug-15 15:07:10

Thanks for the reply, gonegrey. Were the near-misses at your DD's school where the firm choice was not granted missed on total points? or on individual grades?

It seems to me that a near-miss because of an extra point dropped in - say - maths, for an arts course at university would be unlucky.

I guess they just have to be patient until A-level results are out.

gonegrey56 Tue 04-Aug-15 18:37:04

I believe it was in the individual subjects, one that I remember in particular was a friend getting 36 in HL physics, and she needed 38 (but for a MFL degree!) - and she was eventually rejected after A level results day even though overall she had 40 points. Seemed very harsh to everyone .

gonegrey56 Tue 04-Aug-15 18:43:02

Sorry brain addled, what I meant was getting a lower than expected score for physics(?4?) and yet getting 40 total points overall but was still rejected even though "standard offer" was 38 points . The 3 HL scores had been specified, and the friend missed just the one .
Hope this makes sense .
I am sure it is worth contacting the admissions debts prior to A level results day. Hope it works out for everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now