Advanced search

Don't want to provide Student loan service with financial details

(22 Posts)
useby1oct Wed 29-Jul-15 14:09:39

My youngest child is 21 a few days after Uni course starts. I don't think it's our job to support. What happens if we refuse to provide financial details to student loan company

GobblersKnob Wed 29-Jul-15 14:11:06

They won't be able to proceed with their application.

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Wed 29-Jul-15 14:14:03

She'll just get the minimum amount, whatever that is these days.

Chopchopbusybusy Wed 29-Jul-15 14:16:51

He or she will receive the minimum loan. I think they have to be 24 before they are considered to be financially independent from you for the purposes of a student loan. Why do you think you shouldn't be responsible?

sliceofsoup Wed 29-Jul-15 14:19:03

Does she still live with you?

GraysAnalogy Wed 29-Jul-15 14:21:12

Why don't you think it's your job?

If she's under 25 and can't adequately prove she's self supporting it MUST go off your income.

If you don't allow this then she won't be able to go to uni confused

GraysAnalogy Wed 29-Jul-15 14:21:56

AFAIK she won't be able to get the course fees if income isn't taken into account will she?

mumblechum1 Wed 29-Jul-15 14:23:11

You don't have to give the info- ds gets minimum maintenance loan because we're relatively high earners so we didn't have to give any info at all.

poisonedbypen Wed 29-Jul-15 14:24:19

You don't have to provide any information but she will only be able to apply for the minimum loan (£3700) as she is assumed to be dependent on you.

Chopchopbusybusy Wed 29-Jul-15 14:27:24

Greys, she'll be able to get the full course fees but just the minimum living expenses loan.

Lj8893 Wed 29-Jul-15 14:28:04

If she can provide 3 years evidence that she has been self supporting then they won't need your details. And she will get the loan amount based on her financial basis.

Floundering Wed 29-Jul-15 14:30:07

Suck it up like anyone else has to do if they are high earners.

If you don't want to support your child how is the poor girl supposed to live.

You are responsible for her until she is 25 these days, in terms of there being bugger all for them to help it seems.

GraysAnalogy Wed 29-Jul-15 14:39:16

Thankyou chop, I wasn't aware of that

unweavedrainbow Wed 29-Jul-15 14:44:13

She's a dependent student (ie. you're supposed to contribute) until she's 25 unless:
she's married
she has children
she has been supporting herself fully for 36 months (unlikely if she's been living at home)
she's estranged from her parents (has to be NC from you for this to count)

If you don't provide her with your income details then she'll only get the minimum loan (around 3.5k) which isn't really enough to live on-her rent will be more than that, let alone food.

Why don't you want to support her?

sliceofsoup Wed 29-Jul-15 14:58:04

Can I just say, you say you don't think its your job to support, well then who's job is it? The government? Or are you of the opinion that he/she should support herself?

Either way, parental obligation does not end on a given date. You don't get to hang up the boots and say job done.

GasLIghtShining Wed 29-Jul-15 23:16:51

After A levels my DD didn't go to uni and has been working for the last 2 years but still lives at home. She is now looking at uni and our wages will be taken into consideration.

andywed Wed 29-Jul-15 23:28:21

A friend I was doing A Levels with had parents who refused to provide income information for student loans. She ended up getting pregnant and decided to keep the baby as it meant she would be treated as an independent student. She did incredibly well in the end, got a first and went on to do a fully funded MSc and has a good professional job. But I thought it was pretty awful that she'd been pushed into that situation by parents who could have supported her but refused to.

unweavedrainbow Thu 30-Jul-15 10:08:50

The "estranged criteria" is the important one for where parents are simply being arses. There has to be proof that the relationship has "irrevocably broken down" (usually in the form of a letter from a teacher or school counsellor, someone of that ilk) but arguing that you effectively have no relationship with your parents normally leads to the kind of tension that pretty much prevents any kind of parent-child relationship happening anyway. Most parents would want to prevent that happening, I would think.

unweavedrainbow Thu 30-Jul-15 10:12:42

Saying that you're estranged from your parents for SFE purposes is basically saying: "I hate my parents so much/I have so little contact with them that for all intents and purposes they are dead to me-so please calculate my finance as if they were dead".

That's a difficult place for a relationship to come back from.

appolina Thu 30-Jul-15 10:16:13

I had to say I was estranged from my parents (at age 20 I think) as they refused to provide any information. I didn't have to provide a letter, and it's not something I ever discussed with anybody official prior to that.

unweavedrainbow Thu 30-Jul-15 10:26:49

The system is far more bureaucratic (and paper work heavy) than it was even 5 years ago. These days everything requires a letter for SFE. It's a little silly. Sometimes you can get away without evidence, but generally that's because they haven't noticed that you've not provided a letter (they're as incompetent as they are slow). Sometimes they DO let you get away without evidence, if the situation is either really bad, so evidence gathering is difficult, or obvious (living away from parental home, self supporting). Generally, you should bank on them wanting evidence, though. It's to prevent people from just "ticking a box" and getting extra money from both SFE and their parents.

appolina Thu 30-Jul-15 11:09:41

I did have trouble, but I had nobody to provide a letter from, and they [parents] wouldn't write anything.

I think they were fearful they would have to finance me, but I know if they had been told to contribute they just wouldn't have done. As it was I had two jobs to support myself (and I am estranged from them now, but not for reasons above)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: