Advanced search

Dietition and Nutritionalist Courses

(9 Posts)
coolporpoise Wed 17-Jun-15 11:15:46

Hi all,

I'm looking into doing a home study course and I've always been interested in nutrition. I've had a quick look on the internet at home study course providers but don't know what one to choose. I quite like the sound of some of the courses on the Stonebridge site. At present I'm not looking at obtaining a recognised qualification as it's just reading for pleasure. However, as it's something I've always been interested in, it is potentially an area of employment I'd be interested in working in.

Any recomendations?


Millymollymama Wed 17-Jun-15 14:42:24

I believe the NHS trains Dieticians. I would look at this route. They require A levels, to include Chemistry. So I would look to be getting the correct entry qualifications rather than a course that does not count for anything. This advice would be the best for you to actually get a job. If you want to read for pleasure that is a different matter. I would aim for a recognised qualification though.

IhadsexwithanelfinIceland Wed 17-Jun-15 14:46:16

I went to an open day at the Institue of Optimum Nutrition in Richmond (I think Patrick Holford trained or trains there), I think the cost was about £15k for a 3 yr course and as far as I could tell the people who were qualified were having real trouble making it pay.

cuntycowfacemonkey Wed 17-Jun-15 14:47:33

Long term I agree with milly that you would be better off looking at an NHS funded course to become a dietician. To be honest anyone can read a book and call themselves a nutritionist so if you are looking at it as an avenue to a good job in the future then I would stay away from nutritionist type courses.

cuntycowfacemonkey Wed 17-Jun-15 14:48:48

15K shock NHS courses are funded and you have an actual qualification at the end.

coolporpoise Fri 19-Jun-15 19:47:09

Thank you for all your comments. It is much appreciated. Plenty of food for thought. I didn't do chemistry as school only GCSE biology, so not sure I could go straight into A Level chemistry. However this hasn't put me off. Many thanks everyone.

bruffin Tue 07-Jul-15 13:40:14

What about an Access course, to get you onto the NHS funded course.

Essexmum69 Sun 12-Jul-15 15:39:08

Dont touch any course that does not make you eligible for HCPC registration. If you go on to the HCPC site, select the education tab and search on dietitions it will give you a list of all the approved courses in the UK.

peltata Sun 19-Jul-15 20:59:02

Just to say it's Dietitian or Dietician and Nutritionist

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now