Advanced search

What courses I need to do to work as assistant nursery nurse plzzzz

(8 Posts)
Meissajj Mon 29-Dec-14 22:09:20

I had all my studies in back home , and I would like to start a carrier as assistant nursery nurse , as I know I need to do Level 2
Is it the only thing I have to do ??
And in college they start only in September so always I'm late to register , I find a couple of courses online and a lot cheaper with a certificate of course , but can I trust those ones online , are they legally working and this certificate are accepted after
I'm really lost with those question
Can anybody advice plz and tell me what I need to and how I start

Petallic Mon 29-Dec-14 22:16:29

How old are you? Could you complete an apprenticeship- that would give you a qualification and work experience all together. They are advertised locally - try the job centre jobs website and there is a central .gov website to register & search for apprentiships also

Meissajj Mon 29-Dec-14 22:20:45

Thanks Petallic I'm 32years old confused
I don't think they accept this age as apprenticeship???

Petallic Tue 30-Dec-14 10:38:40

Some only accept under 24s due to funding issues but my understanding is you can apply for some at any age (if you are older you get paid slightly more - my SIL has just started an apprentice scheme, is 24 and is paid £13k) so perhaps worth looking into.

I would worry that an online only course would not be as valued by employers, most college courses for childcare involve a practical experience component.

Also try volunteering at local children's centres, that would give you great experience and a recent reference.

Meissajj Tue 30-Dec-14 23:28:10

Thanks Petallic so much
If I ask some school if they can take me and train me as a TA
I'm able to do that?

clpsmum Sat 31-Jan-15 23:04:06

Hnc in childcare an early education

BackforGood Sat 07-Feb-15 23:34:19

Schools will only take on trained (and usually experienced) people for TA roles.
Some will offer work experience or shadowing opportunities - but usually only if you are already known to them, or if it is a placement as part of a course you are already on.

I agree that on-line is not a good way to study childcare - people want practical experience. You might do better to try to volunteer at a community playgroup / pre-school for a while first, rather than a school, unless you can apply for a job such as a mid-day supervisor for a while to gain experience.

hijk Sat 14-Feb-15 10:30:18

Maths and English GCSEs are normally free to study and take, in many areas.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: