Talk

Advanced search

Anyone got a post-16 PGCE?

(7 Posts)
Matildahaspowers Wed 24-Dec-14 21:27:19

If so, what do you do with it?
I am trying to find out what options I would have if I got one. I have been offered a place to start next September. I am interested in teaching Biology/Health courses (I work PT in the NHS) but wondered what else I could do with it.
I have also applied for a primary PGCE and have interviews lined up in January. This would be a 100% career change though!
With the post-16 PGCE I would carry on working in the NHS and do teaching, or whatever, around that.

springalong Wed 24-Dec-14 21:34:59

I started a post-16 PGCE and met all sorts of teachers and trainers. Happy to post more details after Christmas. So sorry this post is really marking place for now! (Must go and get on with prepping veg and hoovering!)

Primrose123 Wed 24-Dec-14 21:49:28

I have. I didn't get a job straight away, but have been volunteering in the local college teaching English as a foreign language. Luckily for me, a job came up and I start after Christmas. I'm also qualified to teach two other languages, and literacy and numeracy if a position came up.

I love teaching adults (they're usually adults in my subject rather than 16 and 17 year olds). They are usually very motivated and we don't seem to have any discipline problems, everyone is very friendly!

sashh Thu 25-Dec-14 07:53:59

I have one, I mainly teach in FE, mainly BTEC Health and Social Care but do some cover in schools.

It's different to a PGCE for teaching children as adults often have different motivations for learning and often know how they learn best.

Matildahaspowers Wed 31-Dec-14 21:40:38

I can't decide what to do really.
I didn't think that you could do cover in schools if FE qualified? I would, ideally, like a 6th form college but I have heard that jobs are few and far between.

Matildahaspowers Wed 31-Dec-14 21:41:41

Did you do the course part time? I can do it over 2 years and carry on working part time in the NHS.

payuktaxrichardbranson Sat 17-Jan-15 01:24:20

It's not as flexible as a normal one as you can't teach in schools or supply and also some of it not relevant as you can't rely on the over sixteen being there because that want to be and being self motivated

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: