Advanced search

No tuition fees loan for second degree BUT could I get childcare help?

(7 Posts)
stinkingbishop Sun 06-Jul-14 12:51:59

Am finding it tricky to navigate the SFE site so apologies if this is bleedin' obvious...

20 years after doing my first degree am doing a full time MSc (£5800 fees) starting in September. I know I can't get a tuition fees loan but I have 2x2 year olds who'll need to be in nursery and a 20 year old whose Uni expenses I'm paying out of savings.

I'm not working. DP is, and on a very good wage so would put us out of anything means-tested if we're classed as a unit. But we're not married, and my DS at Uni isn't his.

What do you think I might get from SFE? Have applied for every scholarship going and written off to all the funds for Gentlewomen in Education and Indigent Gentry etc!

titchy Sun 06-Jul-14 19:03:03

There are no loans for postgraduate courses full stop, the exception being PGCE and poss some Medical quals.

Scholes34 Sun 28-Sep-14 21:07:08

Regardless of whether or not you're married, your son will be assessed on household income by student finance.

minkah Sun 28-Sep-14 21:24:10

If there are no loans for postgrad courses, how do people fund them?!

Sorry for ot, just somewhat amazed. DS plans to do an MA..I think he's assuming he can get a did I!

OddBoots Sun 28-Sep-14 21:30:37

I guess there is no reason not to try to get a personal loan from a bank. I want to do an MSc so I'm working and saving up my fees and costs and will do it in a few years when I've saved enough.

titchy Sun 28-Sep-14 21:35:47

Work and save up or bank of mum and dad or bank/ career development loan.

minkah Sun 28-Sep-14 22:58:49

Ok! Glad I saw this, thankyou. Piggy bank for him,for Christmas then!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now