Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Rural freelance copywriter/marketer - any tips for new business?

(2 Posts)
mabh Wed 21-Oct-09 14:05:55

Hello all! I'm in a bit of a rut work-wise and thought I'd ask if any of you ladies have any tips.

I've been a freelance marketer-cum-copywriter for a couple of years. I used to be the marketing dir. of a smallish company (c10m), have experience in several markets, and am a trained copywriter. I've also designed a few things (well, a lot of catalogues and a few press ads) with my own fair hand.

I live in an extremely rural county a long way from London and am finding is difficult to get a lot of work. Most of the companies around here are very small, and there are quite a few freelance marketers owing to proximity of a business school. This may be the reason why I'm having more luck copywriting, and, to be honest, I'd be happy to write all day!

I also wonder if my problem may be because previously, I'd always worked clientside, so I haven't learnt the knack of cultivating clients.

A good friend of mine who is doing very well in PR (also rural but not here) puts her success down to knowing a lot of people socially. Although I'm sure talent has plenty to do with it, too!

So, chaps, any ideas how I could round up some more clients?

BTW I know this is rather ironic given I create business for other people sad.

mabh Thu 22-Oct-09 16:22:19

Hi folks ignore me, I was having an eeyore day.

Today - contract for 5-feature e-newsletter and a new customer recruitment project came in today! Oh, and a local culture feature!

...still listening if anyone has any tips, though grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now