Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help for selling photos on-line

(10 Posts)
Katymac Tue 13-Oct-09 21:36:37

I've been chatting to a bloke who is selling photos of children's competitions

He tends to sell 6by9 photos for about £10 (£8 + £2 P&P)

How can he increase his sales - people want electronic copies but he feels he cannot charge very much for that - smaller photos don't really take any less time to do

I said I'd ask you lot........as you are so good at 'thinking outside the box' (we can't use brain-storming any more & I can't think of an 'english' equivileny

overmydeadbody Tue 13-Oct-09 21:38:02

what are children's competitions?

Katymac Tue 13-Oct-09 21:44:59

Specifically dance comps

Katymac Tue 13-Oct-09 21:59:49

I wonder if you can limit how many times an electronic copy can be used?

overmydeadbody Tue 13-Oct-09 22:07:03

Ok. Was just wondering if he could sell to a wider audience but presumably only the parents/family of the child photographed would want the picture?

I don;t think you can limit how many times a digital photo is used, once he has sold someone the jpeg it is theirs to use as much as they want.

Could he offer a framing service too?

Katymac Wed 14-Oct-09 09:45:26

He mounts them & does those big canvas ones

I don't think you could sell to the public due to confidentiality really (I could be wrong)

BirdFromDaNorf Thu 15-Oct-09 20:47:22

Get written permission from guardian of children in photos - all of them, so pain in the bum, but needed. And then register on istock photos. That's where I get my images from. All sorts of stuff on there... Fantastic resource. Then he gets £ each time someone downloads his image. he could maybe pay it back to the dance group / person???

brokenrecord Sun 18-Oct-09 19:37:54

"How can he increase his sales - people want electronic copies but he feels he cannot charge very much for that - smaller photos don't really take any less time to do"

Don't really understand this bit.

Photographers usually charge more for digital files to cover for loss of potential print sales, so he should probably charge whatever the average print sale for each image would normally be, ie, £30 if he normally sells 3 prints per file, and so on.

brokenrecord Sun 18-Oct-09 19:40:32

Or to increase his sales he could offer the digital file free when they order x amount of prints - x being the number greater than they would normally be expected to buy...

Katymac Sun 18-Oct-09 19:52:36

Thanks for that - I will pass the info on

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now