Talk

Advanced search

Cunning copywriting opportunities in between nappies and screams?

(6 Posts)
splodge2001 Mon 12-Oct-09 16:37:52

Does anyone have any experience of working at home as a freelance copywriter? Or point me in the right direction.

I have experience (working for an Ad agency)but have been stuck at home for a number years. I need work I can do at home as I'm currently looking after DD who is 6m. I'm based in Central London.

God that all sounds so boring - maybe I'm a rubbish copywriter? wink

splodge2001 Mon 12-Oct-09 20:25:23

thats a no then? sad

SCARYspicemonster Mon 12-Oct-09 20:46:58

I know people who do and that's what I'm planning on doing. It's a bit thin on the ground at the mo but I work at a professional services firm and we use people to write brochures, proposal documents and other marketing materials. Do you have any contacts in law/accountancy/consultancy firms that could get your CV in front of the right people? If not, you could try writing to their comms people.

Sorry if that's as much use as a chocolate teapot

splodge2001 Mon 12-Oct-09 21:29:24

Oi - I sell chocolate teapots!

Fleecy Tue 13-Oct-09 17:21:56

I got made redundant after having DD so went freelance.

Basically called or emailed all my marketing contacts to let them know what I was doing - and it took off from there. I now have a nanny come in a couple of days a week as I just couldn't fit it in any more once I had 2 under 2!

Most weeks I work 2/3 days, sometimes more, sometimes less. Work evenings too so often get a last minute job from an agency where they need something to go to design in the morning and nobody's written it yet!

The best bit? Being able to fit your work in around your life. The worst? It can be quite lonely sometimes, plus you always need to be available. I now have a Blackberry which makes me feel like a w@nker but means I never miss a call or email.

Are you still in touch with anyone at your old agency? Most of my work comes from agencies who don't want to increase their headcount in the current climate but still need to get the work done.

Do you have any other friends in marketing or advertising? Or you could ring round local agencies to see if they use freelancers working from home?

Airlie Mon 19-Oct-09 11:29:47

I do copywriting as part of my PR role, am self employed.
I considered just doing copywriting as you can manage your time more efficiently that being out at events/meetings/launches etc, however the downside is it tends to be job by job rather than retained work, so you need to ensure a constant flow of work coming in. Like others have said, it does allow you to manage your time around your family, so worth investigating further.
Having work coming in from an agency is definitely the way to go.

Hope that helps a little.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now