Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What do you do about non -payment?

(5 Posts)
pickupthismess Fri 09-Oct-09 19:23:18

I don't know if I am just unlucky but I have two non payment issues at the moment. The first was with a hideous client who I am actually taking to court. They refused to pay a single penny for a great piece of work I did for them. I am so angry because I didn't even bill them for half of the time it took me.

But.....I can't believe it has happened again. This client doesn't dispute any of the work I have provided and has said a few times that the cheque run is next week. They are an SME and always had a good relationship with me though not close. But over last month they have not returned emails or calls. I have sent two reminders now and this week my first firm pay in 7 days letter. Tomorrow they should have paid and of course they won't have. Where do I go from here? There is only court and I can't run two court case it is ridiculous.

What do other freelancers do in this situation? The invoices are outstanding since July.

onefunkymama Sat 10-Oct-09 00:22:23

Small claims court and citizens advice bureau

TracyK Sat 10-Oct-09 11:10:07

Can you pop in and see the boss personally? How much is outstanding? Could they pay you in 2 or 3 instalments?

pickupthismess Sun 11-Oct-09 12:34:18

TracyK that's what I'd like to do but I wondered if it was aggressive, also if I'd look foolish if he wasn't there (and he often isn't).

TracyK Sun 11-Oct-09 18:43:46

Is there anyone else in the accounts dept that has the ear of the boss - or whoever gives you your assignments? Try and get them on your side and ask them to do the pushing for you - give them the old 'I'm skint' sob story.

Or when they say 'the pay run is on x' Tell them you'll be in to pick up a cheque on that day. Its the same old story though - if they don't need you for any work at the mo - you don't hold much leverage. It's always easier if they ask you to do something and you can say 'cough up first'!

When another member of staff asks me to do a payment for one of their freelancers - I do it quicker than if no-one was pushing for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now