Talk

Advanced search

Freelancers of the world; Unite and take over

(80 Posts)
Spaceman Tue 06-Oct-09 10:01:33

How are you all?

Thought I'd just say 'hello'.

Are you all looking foward to another winter at desk; huddling under a blanket; with chattering teeth and a clattering keyboard?

sheeplikessleep Tue 06-Oct-09 10:11:30

Hello!
I'm being naughty as I'm sat here with the heating on (but my only pair of smart maternity trousers are drying on the radiator and I have a meeting at 12.30! blush

itsbeingsofearful Tue 06-Oct-09 10:16:25

I actually kept a beret and scarf on yesterday while typing.

I'm freezing now, but only cos I'm still in PJs and laziness is still my predominant motivator. Cold will make me move in another hour or so I reckon grin

sheeplikessleep Tue 06-Oct-09 10:17:23

Are you an undercover agent itsbeingsofearful grin

itsbeingsofearful Tue 06-Oct-09 10:23:49

I wish I were, sheeplikessleep.

A laptop's on top of my Christmas gift to me list - just trying to persuade kids they don't need any more crap presents - so that I can fulfill that ambition wink

BirdFromDaNorf Tue 06-Oct-09 10:26:22

LOL I'm going to put the little electric heater on in the study in a minute. I couldn't bring myself to put heating on for just me. I did yesterday, at 2pm, but had DS2 with me, so rationalised it on that basis.

Sheep - LOL - and a "personal questions" - have you put your trousers on the radiator so that the crotch dries?? I used to peg my stuff to radiator strategically to get it dried in time!

I ain't looking forward to this weather continuing - it puts me a vicious cycle - cup of coffee and biscuit, fiddle with washing machine/ dryer / dishwasher, sit down, need loo, make another coffee .....

grin back to the coalface...

sheeplikessleep Tue 06-Oct-09 10:32:39

Just a beret and a scarf sounds very glam - I am imagining you sat there with shades on too, answering your private detective phone calls grin

I've just quickly ironed trousers again, in a bid to get them dry - agh! The expandable tummy bit is doubled up fabric, so that's taking AGES!

This is my first 'winter' as a freelancer. Maybe I should put thick jumpers on my xmas list!

Laugs Tue 06-Oct-09 10:35:30

Heating is on here! The first day this autumn and I'm quite excited.

I am back in my pyjamas after trousers got drenched dropping DD at nursery. I'm 33 weeks pregnant though and could happily sit in my pyjamas all day. I have been waiting for some work to come through since 8am - deadline today angry so Mumsnet is my solace.

itsbeingsofearful Tue 06-Oct-09 10:38:21

If only Sheep. The beret is actually my DD1s. I'd picked up off the floor and stuck it on my head to carry upstairs with a load of other detritus and forgot to take it off. Then added a huge black shawl thing to cover my hands and shoulders. More baglady female vagrant than glam PI.

I wasn't allowed out in the beret though. All 3DCs drew the line at that. grin

Laugs Tue 06-Oct-09 10:38:33

sheeplikessleep - thick jumpers, chunky socks, fingerless gloves so you can still type, endless supply of non-caffeinated drinks you can turn to when you've drunk too much coffee. I loved a nice mug of hot blackcurrant last winter!

itsbeingsofearful Tue 06-Oct-09 10:41:03

I'm too waiting for stuff I was promised early yesterday, Laugs. The evil, lazy part of me is secretly hoping it doesn't arrive.

After all money is just a social construct - who needs it. Much more fun to witter away to complete strangers wink

hatwoman Tue 06-Oct-09 10:42:43

I'm shivering too. but probably because my jeans are wet from walking the dog in the pouring rain. and because I've come on here to waste time, instead of going to put the kettle on and go upstairs to get a jumper.

I'm looking longingly at the fake coal burner thing. (it's gas....all I have to do is push a button). but I'll go for the jumper first.

I have a truly awful heating-related confession to make. we're living in a rented house...have been here for 9 months...the heating system is ridiculously complicated...I don't know how to use it shock. well, I can turn it on and off, but I'm damned if I can work out the digital thermostats. what's wrong with a little dial ffs?

hatwoman Tue 06-Oct-09 10:44:37

pmsl at the beret business.

not quite the same but I once nearly - very nearly - walked out of the local swimming pool having forgotten I still had a towel wrapped round my head. I got as far as the door.

Laugs Tue 06-Oct-09 10:48:18

The lazy part of me is hoping that too, itsbeingsofearful. Just rang the office and the reason they haven't sent it through is their post still hasn't arrived. Now I'm thinking surely the post isn't going to arrive after 10.45... But I'm also cross I could have gone back to bed.

itsbeingsofearful Tue 06-Oct-09 10:55:14

smile Hatwoman. I once had an important meeting to go to so got all prepared from the waist up, but because I knew I had to take the dog out before I left, but on a pair of tracky bottoms and muddy trainers. And yes you can guess the rest...

Was late back, rushed to get purse and travelcard, ran down to station - still had tracky bottoms and trainers on. Fortunately the Tube was running as it should and I had 10 mins to nip into H&M and buy something more suitable grin

BirdFromDaNorf Tue 06-Oct-09 11:00:49

PMSL at fearful. I have a friend who's high up in her company, very super senior and regularly has to spend the day in tracksuit bottoms as she cylces in and forgets her trousers. She tried swapping with her PA too, who's "only a bit smaller" and once bust the buttons the trousers, so now she sticks to the tracky bottoms. Very resourceful of you to go into H&M though. Housepoint for that one

Spaceman Tue 06-Oct-09 11:01:17

What are you all going to be like when winter truely hits??? grin

We also have the motivation issue to deal with. I'm okay at the moment as have two interesting clients, am not pg (so not preoccupied). Although I haven't been on MN for ages and it looks as though I could get myself addicted again, which ain't great for getting all distracted.

Keep focused, keep focused., keep focused, keep focused.

Ah eff it. Let's all chat...

sheeplikessleep Tue 06-Oct-09 11:04:23

I'm switching mumsnet off now, as have to leave very soon and should do some preparation grin
Bye

Spaceman Tue 06-Oct-09 11:04:38

Oh yeah, hatwoman, are you that little tortoise that drums his cute stubby fingers on the floor while saying 'it has to be easily turn off and on-able' in the British Gas advert?

I'm sure you're not, but it's cool to think you could be!

itsbeingsofearful Tue 06-Oct-09 11:06:57

Well, I for one will finally but heating on, dig out the fingerless gloves and don thermal socks. Oh and, stock up on cranberry juice to drink with hot water!

Distractions, where? No just keeps me sane. I like to concentrate my work into the tiniest space possible, that really focuses the mind grin

itsbeingsofearful Tue 06-Oct-09 11:08:01

Come back soon Sheep

hatwoman Tue 06-Oct-09 11:09:43

oh no I'm much more dynamic than a tortoise hmm

how's about this for a ridiculous small pleasure? I went to make a coffee and was delighted to see a jumper of mine in the kitchen...it meant I didn;t have to go upstairs after all. oh the little things that can bring light into a freelancer's day(told you I was dynamic)

BirdFromDaNorf Tue 06-Oct-09 11:40:10

I just got my jumper - a big fleecey one - out of the clean pile - as opposed to the dirty pile for washing!! That made me hatwoman.

Lancelottie Tue 06-Oct-09 12:05:40

Darn -- I was just going to indulge in some guilt-free MNing as I'm having a work drought. Then an email arrived offering a major project for this week, and I'd JUST said yes when school rang to say DS1 'is obviously unwell and needs collecting'. Noooooo...

Stay warm everyone, I'm off to collect my germ factory beloved offspring...

Laugs Tue 06-Oct-09 12:16:44

Oh the joys of freelance eh, Lottie? Hope DS1 is ok.

My email I've spent the entire morning waiting for arrived 2 minutes ago - I have to collect DD from nursery in 3 minutes! Now I'm trying to decide whether to try pushing back my deadline until tomorrow or plug DD into CBeebies for the afternoon and hope she doesn't interupt a telephone interview...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now