Talk

Advanced search

Long shot but has anyone done the SfEP's Accreditation in Proofreading test?

(7 Posts)
lucysnowe Fri 02-Oct-09 12:14:12

Hi all

Was thinking of doing this test:

http://www.sfep.org.uk/pub/quals/accred_info.asp

as I have experience in editing but haven't had any training for ages. But I wonder how 'rigorous' it is? If anyone's done it and can give me an idea - would be eternally grateful!

Winebeforepearls Fri 02-Oct-09 12:20:03

I did this years ago - sent on it by my employer. It is important to have it if you're starting out, but if you already have editing experience then I suspect that would be more important for employers than this qualification.

If you already use all the relevant symbols and refer constantly to Judith Butcher, I can't see this course adding much to your CV.

Winebeforepearls Fri 02-Oct-09 12:21:12

I did this years ago - sent on it by my employer. It is important to have it if you're starting out, but if you already have editing experience then I suspect that would be more important for employers than this qualification.

If you already use all the relevant symbols and refer constantly to Judith Butcher, I can't see this course adding much to your CV.

Winebeforepearls Fri 02-Oct-09 12:21:41

And obv. repetition in text not encouraged hmm

lucysnowe Fri 02-Oct-09 12:47:11

LOL I shall get my red pen out!

Thanks. I have been mulling over getting accreditation for ages and it hasn't really made any difference thus far in my career. I wouldn't mind something else to put in the CV though.

wbp - what kind of level is the test then would you say - for those with a year or so's experience?

WineBeforePearls Fri 02-Oct-09 14:19:21

I seem to remember doing a joint copyediting and proofreading course about 6 months into my first job - so basically no experience. And IIRC it covered everything that you would encounter in trade publishing, but perhaps not the more complex technical publishing stuff.

But please realise that this is almost 15 years ago, so the courses may all have changed.

Is there a detailed breakdown of the course on their website?

lucysnowe Tue 06-Oct-09 14:57:20

Thanks WBP!

There doesn't seem to be, so I am a bit ignorant about it. I could ask them I suppose...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now