Talk

Advanced search

Linked In

(10 Posts)
elmosworld Tue 29-Sep-09 22:37:33

Hi all,

Anyone using this website?

Just taken on by a fairly big client's website and he recommended signing up there, making people you know/have worked with connections, then you can end up with having work sent your way etc.
I think it's free too, or up to a point, and just a profile based sort of site.

Any thoughts?

squeaver Tue 29-Sep-09 22:40:06

I'm on it and so are lots of people I know but it's honestly been of no use to me whatsoever. It's a bit meh.

But never mind that, why are you so bold and big??

squeaver Tue 29-Sep-09 22:40:30

Oh I am too. What's going on??

mumof2222222222222222boys Tue 29-Sep-09 22:59:13

I am on it too, and I would say that for me it has limited value. However, I work for a recruitment company and am in the middle of formulating a Linked In policy - hugely important for recruiters.

elmosworld Wed 30-Sep-09 21:52:41

Aww no... not great news.
Ha Ha Squeaver, I saw it last night too! It's gone now.... sad I quite liked it lol.
grin
I was tempted to write another post and then actually do something bold... just to see what it came out like LOL.

Mumof2gazillionboys... Shame it's not spread any work your way either.

So do you have any good sites for networking on (workwise)?

x

randomeuro Wed 30-Sep-09 22:00:44

My partner got a great contract in Switzerland from LinkedIn. I think you get out of it what you put in.

MarketingConsultant Fri 02-Oct-09 10:29:22

I love LinkedIn. I've been on it for some years now. At first I used it to connect to friends and ex-colleagues, and when I was contracting, I used it to try to find work.

Now, I use it as an online networking resource. I have joined lots of groups that are relevant to me and to the types of client I have. I've even had three enquiries recently through LinkedIn. One is probably going nowhere as I don't think I've got the right industry experience for them, but the other two have resulted in meetings with potential clients and it's looking hopeful that I will get some work from them both.

TracyK Fri 02-Oct-09 19:31:12

How does it work - do you just put yourself on it and wait for contact?

giddykipper Fri 02-Oct-09 19:49:44

I'm on, mainly to stay in contact with people. Sadly most of my old friends are on there rather than facebook.

elmosworld Mon 05-Oct-09 20:46:37

TracyK - Yes you basically do that lol. You can use your address book in hotmail, yahoo, gmail etc to find all your contacts in there who are already on LinkedIn, ask to become a "connection".

You can use the search facility to find people who may be hiring, pick a sector and then just ask to become a connection.

I've had a couple of people adding me but still haven't really had the chance to get to grips with it properly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now