Talk

Advanced search

childcare for mums at home?

(16 Posts)
mishjb68 Tue 29-Sep-09 00:56:45

As a nanny I have offered childcare form @ 9.30am to 2.30pm for 2/3/4 days per week. Idea being that I would collect little one/s and go out to groups , swim, parks etc and take pre prepared picnic or similar so mum could workat home in peace.
I thought this would be quite popular as so many parents work from home but have had hardly any interest.... any ideas please?

flowerybeanbag Tue 29-Sep-09 11:55:28

I think most people regardless of where they work decide what childcare they want/need and then look for it accordingly.

I work from home, I decided I needed a nanny, what hours I wanted and then advertised the job.

I don't know where or how you are marketing your services, whether you are advertising or whatever, but most people I know who want to use a nanny would do what I did, recruit through one of the usual websites or use an agency to get exactly what they want, rather than responding to a nanny advertising herself as being available.

mishjb68 Tue 29-Sep-09 12:07:10

I suppose it comes down to luck a bit as to finding parents who want the hours you are offering.
I assumed half days might be quite popular.
I will keep perservering!thanks

flowerybeanbag Tue 29-Sep-09 12:11:51

Well I think that's it - most parents will decide exactly what they want and will advertise for it.

I personally wouldn't look at someone advertising offering services as a nanny, I'd want nannies to see my advert, my requirements and situation, decide they are interested and respond to it. Otherwise, as you point out, the chances of anyone looking for exactly what you are offering are pretty slim.

I think people are unlikely to see you advert and on the basis of that suddenly decide they want a nanny for those hours. People will decide first what childcare they want and then look for it.

hatwoman Tue 29-Sep-09 12:26:31

I know very few people who work half-days (whether s-e or not). The only people I know who do work half days are the ones with school age children - who work those hours specifically so that they don't need childcare.

I think your problem is that if the children are school age the parents don't need childcare in those times. and if they're not school age the parents need more.

Hobnobfanatic Tue 29-Sep-09 12:40:55

This would be ideal for me - perfect hours. I could then go and collect DD from school and spend the rest of the day with the kids. What would each session cost, out of interest?

hatwoman Tue 29-Sep-09 12:46:56

that blows my theory out!...so it would work for people with some pre-school kids and some at school. yep I can see that...

mishjb68 Tue 29-Sep-09 14:56:58

thanks Hobnobfanatic feel a bit more wanted now!
I work round Blackheath areas and am self employed. I have a little girl of 2 and half who comes with me. Been a nanny for 20 yrs,
I charge £10 gross which includes tax etc obviously and i include petrol etc in that.
I thought like you there may be a mum who wants to do after school activities herself but would like care for a younger pre school child.
I already work 2 full days a week for a lovely family but thought it would be nice to find something for some hours on the other days

Hobnobfanatic Tue 29-Sep-09 15:46:51

If only you were in Gloucestershire - I'd definitely need something like that when I sprog with DC2!

Where does one find a nanny, anyway? What qualifications should thye have when you're looking?

mishjb68 Tue 29-Sep-09 16:15:17

That a shame! prob look at sites like this, simplychildcare web is good, agencies but that can be pricey. Maybe put some cards up at local schools.
I am not qualified but 20 years exp, word of mouth and great refs have served me well.
some people put seem keen on qualifications and less on exp but I have children and would personally be more interested (if someone were to look after them)in a confident carer with good checkable refs,and several years exp but that's just me!
Good luck sorry we aren't nearer each other.

B1984 Tue 29-Sep-09 16:29:13

have you advertised on gumtree?

mishjb68 Wed 30-Sep-09 00:09:43

Thanks just put one on ...fingers crossed!

Doozle Thu 15-Oct-09 19:53:31

I use a nanny just like you to do ad hoc part time work for me in the mornings. Want to pick DD up myself from school nursery at 3.15.

What you offer could well appeal to mums who's preschoolers are only in nursery for a couple of hours a day.

I found my nanny through Simply Childcare website which is excellent for this sort of thing.

Have you tried advertising on there?

Doozle Thu 15-Oct-09 19:54:35

"whose" I mean! blush

mishjb68 Thu 15-Oct-09 22:44:45

Thanks Dozzle I have ad on there so you never know see what happens!

Doozle Thu 15-Oct-09 22:59:46

Good luck mish.

Hobnob, you don't necessarily need a nanny with qualifications. I just look for a few years' experience and if I like the sound of their profile summary.

Then it's all down to meeting a few nannies at interview to see who you like. You'll know when you meet a lovely nanny who is warm with your kids. Then the most important bit of all - checking references!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now