Talk

Advanced search

Designers! How much would you charge for this project?

(5 Posts)
hoppybird Sat 26-Sep-09 20:29:23

The client wants a full colour double-sided A5 leaflet for his shop. One side shows 6 of his products, isolated and grouped together - not straightforward as original photos are not on a plain background. Also, he would like to show contact details and a list of goods on offer. Other side has a map showing his location - map would have to be drawn, as he has no current map.

Just curious what the going rate would be, as it's not what I usually do, but was asked to do this.

TIA.

SarfEasticated Sat 26-Sep-09 21:31:34

I charge £17 an hour if that helps, for design layout, 3 proofs and print quality pdf, printing/delivery costs paid by client.
HTH

hoppybird Sun 27-Sep-09 09:52:23

Thanks for the reply, SarfEast.

How much time would you normally allow for a project like this? I'm no expert, and adding all the elements together, I would estimate (for me) around 5 hours work. Does that sound reasonable?

SarfEasticated Sun 27-Sep-09 21:47:46

depends on how many proofs he wants. If he is happy with your original scheme then brill, if he changes things all the time then not so good.
Tricky one isn't it. I'll give it some thought.

hoppybird Tue 29-Sep-09 15:14:24

So you'd think charging for about 5 hours' work sounds reasonable? I usually design websites, and structure payments differently, so I'm not really used to charging an hourly rate (when I have, it has been £20ph).

Anyway, I approached my client with that estimate, and I'd also found a digital printing service who could do 1000 A5s for £99, so it would cost him around 2p per leaflet. He wasn't impressed and thought he could do it cheaper elsewhere!

The thing is, I did his website, for which he is already paying, and it seems he expected me to do the leaflet for practically nothing and only pay for the printing! hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now