Talk

Advanced search

Any GPs here - how hard is it to return to work after, say, 5 year career break??

(9 Posts)
PacificDogwood Sat 29-Aug-09 09:40:29

I do not think that it is a secret on MN that I work as a GP in RL and I am currently expecting DS4.
I work 4 days a week + 1 late night every fortnight. My DSs have been going to the same lovely CM since DS1 was 6 months old. DS1 and 2 are now at school, DS3 will be 2 when DS4 will be born.

I am struggling with whether or not to take an extended career break as I am finding it increasingly unfair on DSs to have to fit around my work committments.
At the same time I enjoy my work (mostly wink) and am in a very good partnership, I trained long and hard for it and the extra income is of course welcome. Financially we would be fine although DH may have to cut down his spending on expensive hobbies...and is not keen on the idea of me resigning.

If I were to stop working for a while, should I stay registered with the GMC? What about appraisal and revalidation? As it is, I am 1 year behind with appraisal...
Anyway, I've got some a meeting for advice with the BMA lined up and am really looking for some personal experiences.

Anybody stopped for a while AND got back into GPland or was extenden mat leave the beginning of the end for you career wise?

weegiemum Sat 29-Aug-09 09:45:14

Hi PD,

we've been talking about this at home a lot (think you know dh is a GP) as he's been involved in the revalidation stuff.

If you want to CAT me I can pass on some stuff about it all. Revalidation is going to mean doing a min of 40 sessions a year or retraining, so you might want to consider that, for a start ...

Wouldn't it be nice to have some more time with all your lovely boys though??

PacificDogwood Sat 29-Aug-09 09:51:10

Thanks, weegie, NOT what I wanted to hear, but I thought as much..

I am going out now, but will try this CAT lark later on.

Sometimes I think, more time away from my monsters would be even nicer wink...

liath Sat 29-Aug-09 09:56:28

Is there a retainer scheme where you are? I work one day a week and the scheme here lasts for 5 years. It's great to just be able to go in for that one day and not have any partnership worries or responsibilities. I know a person locally who stayed at the same practice but switched from being a partner to being a retainer on the understanding that she'd be able to return to being partner at the end of the 5 years.

PacificDogwood Sat 29-Aug-09 20:52:09

Yes, retainer scheme, liath, has been stopped here couple of years ago sad.

So, is there no Gp out there who stopped AND succesfully restarted again after a break? Any experiences, good or bad, would be welcome.
smile

PacificDogwood Sun 30-Aug-09 21:50:08

Bumping
Pretty-pleeeeese?

PacificDogwood Mon 31-Aug-09 20:58:56

Well, me agonising over this univere altering decision is clearly not setting the world of MN on fire grin!

weegie, I have not been able to CAT you, sorry! I am sure I'll see you at one of the meet-ups.
smile

liath Mon 31-Aug-09 21:46:48

Oh dear, pacificdogwood! Have you tried posting on doctorsnet?

PacificDogwood Mon 31-Aug-09 21:49:35

Doctorsnet?? In the words of Manoel: que?? Another black hole forum I can spend lots and lots of time on??
Will investigate, thanks! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now