Talk

Advanced search

Web site advice

(6 Posts)
fabhead Thu 13-Aug-09 10:20:55

I know this has been asked a million times but can anyone give me the salient points for setting up a website that looks good and can sell things from. I am technically minded as work in IT but not very knowledgable on web stuff. I have a domain registered so:

where for hosting?

what package/sw to create website? - or do you still do it in html?

How to integrate into paypal or other payment system?

Any tips?

many thanks!

atworknotworking Thu 13-Aug-09 17:41:37

Think it depends on what you want the site for really, is it for information or direct selling / orders.

One.com is probably the cheapest option if you are any good at html, I'm not so paid an awful lot of money for a company to set one up (biggest mistake to date) you can integrate paypal on one.com as well but you have to build it from scratch I think but its only £10 a year, think they host domain as well.

BT apparently have templates that you can enter your products / info onto but they are a monthly subscription around £30 I think for the basic package, but that limits you on appearance of site if you are working from a template, what is it you are selling? do you want it to look like a boutique style or is it kinda industrial stuff think this has a lot to do with what you choose.

atworknotworking Thu 13-Aug-09 17:45:12

Just to add, I sold more on ebay fees around £50 a month (with a shop, rather than a private seller) than I did with my very expensive web site which cost around £190 a month.

You can have an ebay shop designed or you can personalise the templates to a certain extent, and the traffic, keywords are already in place. Might be worth a look if you don't do ebay already.

fabhead Thu 13-Aug-09 19:29:30

good tips, thanks. I do ebay already but only as a personal account, also amazon marketplace. Maybe I should look at expanding that first.

Any other packages I could use to set up a website - my html is very rusty but I could probably manage some.

MrAnchovy Thu 13-Aug-09 20:45:13

These people have never let me down. That package includes WYSIWYG design software to prop up your rusty hand-coded HTML, and also gives you the resources to run a web shop and/or content management system if you want to go down that route.

fabhead Thu 13-Aug-09 21:19:26

that looks ideal as I could start and pay small and build and embelish as I go - just what I was looking for, thanks.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: