Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else trying to 'work' while children are at home during school holidays?

(14 Posts)
chablis Wed 12-Aug-09 21:40:32

It just DOESN'T work does it? angry sad

Mine are 10 & 7 and I thought I'd struck a 'bargain' with them whereby we did stuff together (going out - park, trips etc) in the mornings, but in the afternoons they'd be good, play together outside, play on the computer/ wii a bit, build lego models etc, but generally leave me alone to make a few phone calls and send a few e-mails....

But they WILL NOT LEAVE ME IN PEACE! it's a constant flow of interruptions - whingeing, requests for food/ drinks/ telling tales etc.

I am so fed up today sad

Doodle2u Wed 12-Aug-09 21:52:08

We run our company from home and I too thought I'd struck a good enough balance with them <bangs head on desk>. Mine are 8 and 6.

This week, they are doing 4 hours each day at holiday club, so I'm roughly on top of what I need to do but the house is a shit-tip! blush

lucykate Wed 12-Aug-09 21:55:22

i've given up trying for the summer. it was a loosing battle. the trade off for me is that i've always had to fit what i do around them, but come september, ds starts school, so from then on, i can work every day, 9-3pm. better enjoy them while i can!

chablis Wed 12-Aug-09 21:56:23

Yes - the first week they did 4 hours each at a sports club course, but it cost a fair bit and wasn't that great hmm. I figured it might be cheaper to spend the cash orderign some ginormous Lego model that it will take them 3 days to build grin

I find the juggling between two things (parent/ business owner) very very difficult, and the problem is that DS2 (7) has learnt to play on all my guilt with comments about me ALWAYS being in my 'office' etc.

Katymac Wed 12-Aug-09 21:57:36

Me - but in my case, it's more complicated in that I childmind - I feel split in 2

DD is 11 & getting fed up of 'babies' I think this is the last summer we can do like this - goodness knows what I am going to do next summer

yappybluedog Wed 12-Aug-09 22:13:20

yes, I do some home working, have an audit next week, so I am working in the evenings which isn't great as I am knackered

sandyballs Wed 12-Aug-09 22:16:43

I attempted to work from home on Monday, the first time I've done this during school hols. I figured it would be fine as my girls are now 8 and quite happy to play together and entertain themselves .... usually. But not on Monday angry. As you say, constant interruptions and arguments that needed sorting out.

Spaceman Wed 12-Aug-09 22:24:53

Yes, dreadful. Mine are 4 and 1, so really young. I am negotiating rates and projects with one hand and buttering malt loaf with the other.

Feel very guilty that I'm not giving them my undivided attention - both clients and kids.. On top of this the house is a constant mess.

cat64 Wed 12-Aug-09 22:28:52

Message withdrawn

hatwoman Wed 12-Aug-09 22:36:23

me too. but I've kind of given up a bit. dh is at home too - which should makes things easier - and he does take them out a lot - but I just feel guilty, whatever I do. I booked them in a holiday club one day a week - doing excellent day trips and dds still lay on the guilt. I explained to them that the club was no different to the "old days" when I had an office job, and vanished completely for 3 days a week - including in the holidays - and they were looked after by a nanny. "Yes but that was Rachel. that was different". I suppose it was. sigh

hatwoman Wed 12-Aug-09 22:37:04

and we have a completely open plan house - which means I can't lock myself away.

pointydog Wed 12-Aug-09 22:41:58

It is impossible to work properly with young children around. That's why we have childcare wink.

My friend has only ever been able to do it when teh kids are in bed or are being looked after by her dh.

I get quite a bit of time to myself now they are 13 and nearly 11. It does get better. Usually.

cat64 Wed 12-Aug-09 22:55:04

Message withdrawn

stealthsquiggle Wed 12-Aug-09 23:01:45

My 'balance' is as follows:

I don't attempt to work when DD (2.5) is at home at all except after she has gone to bed - the one day a week she is not at nursery I am officially not working and we do child-centric stuff (combined with house-related stuff)

DS (6.5) has 3 days a week of booked holiday clubs of one sort or another, leaving one day when both he and DD are at home and another when he is at home and I am working. He will slob in front of TV/ otherwise generally amuse himself reasonably well, with me taking an hour out and DH (if working at home) taking a different hour out.

Given how much they now squabble, I can well imagine that even when DD reaches 6.5 it will be near-on impossible to work with both of them at home sad. I do have a shed home office though so I can escape to some extent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now