Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Former management consultants? Anyone work for Eden McCallum or other freelance consulting?

(3 Posts)
HolidaysQueen Tue 28-Jul-09 10:54:21

I used to work for a top strategy consulting firm and now work in pharmaceuticals, 3 days a week since returning from mat leave.

DH has just got a dream job which facilitates a move out of London which we've always wanted to do. It would make my commute to present job doable but not great, and as I would really like a new challenge anyway, I'm thinking about leaving paid employment and going freelance. I'd like to work 2-3 days per week, largely from home if possible, and we can probably afford for me to not be working all the time.

I've heard of Eden McCallum and thought that might be a good route for me. Any other networks of freelance management consultants out there?

If you've got any experience of doing this it would be great to hear from you!

Thanks!

overthemill Fri 07-Aug-09 18:28:09

cat me i am a freelance management consultant about to give it all up! try linkedin for networks. suggest you let EVERYONE you know you are doing it, word of mouth is best.
for me it's been too difficult finding home based work so i am retaining to teach adults around my kids but it wokred well for me when they were tinies
good luck

stirlingstar Wed 19-Aug-09 15:48:13

Hiya - this is a bit of a late reply to the thread - sorry!

I was at a strategy consultancy in London, left after DS1 (2007) and moved to Scotland. Hadn't really thought about freelancing but was subsequently phoned by two ex-colleagues who asked if I was interested and spent 18 months doing roughly 2.5 days / week from home until went on mat leave for DS2. I just did it through those two contacts, who kept coming up with new projects for me. Was fully home based. Great situation, but was totally luck based.

Have recently 'gone back to work' but currently just 3 afternoons working with DH's business. Recession has killed off workstreams from both previous contacts... In time would like to go back to the freelancing (unless DH hits the big time) - but will definitely need to work on building up networks.

Linkin is good - great way to get back in touch with old professional contacts that you didn't keep up with, but would (if brave) know well enough to get back in touch with & let them know what you're doing. DEFINITELY tell everyone your plans before you leave.

Don't know anything about Eden McCallum. Sounds like I should do.

I'm also in the healthcare sector - with consultancy, was mainly big pharma but since freelancing more work was in area of service provision (eg private providers to NHS)

Am not subscribed to this CAT thingy but let me know if you want to get in touch and will work out how.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now