Talk

Advanced search

Working on a contract/Freelancing novice

(2 Posts)
fruitstick Mon 20-Jul-09 15:45:28

I have been offered a contract post for some part time work.

I'm on maternity leave at the moment from a permanent position. In reality, I can't go back to it (have moved) so I'm not giving up an awful lot to take a temporary job (I don't think). I've always worked as a perm employee for the same company and I have no idea what being on a contract involves.

Do you have to invoice and get paid or do you get paid through payroll?

Do you have to do your own tax returns and pay your tax at the end of the year?

Is it advisable to set up your own company or does it make no difference?

What about childcare vouchers? Can companies still pay these to contract employees or is there an equivalent (is childcare tax deductable for example).

I thought I knew lots about the world but apparently not!

BeckyBendyLegs Sun 26-Jul-09 20:19:33

I think I was in a similar situation to you. I worked in publishing and left on mat leave and have been freelancing for the same company ever since. I set myself up as self-employed - easy to do but to be honest I can't remember how. I think I did it via the Inland Rev I think. I'm not a company, as in through Company House. I invoice the company I worked for for my work every month. I do do my own tax returns (or DH does them for me!). I do have to pay tax once a year (scarey stuff) plus every three months I get a Nat Ins bill which is about £27 each time.

It is quite easy but might be worth going to Citizen's Advice or somewhere like that for advice. DH helped me because he used to be freelance too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now