Talk

Advanced search

Anyone out there building their own webshop at the moment? I'm getting stuck on the payment bit!

(15 Posts)
fourlittlefeet Sat 18-Jul-09 11:58:11

I've managed to get a site up and registered, but am not sure how to get a professional payment engine in there. Please do post your site here with examples as I'm really trying to get my head around this quite quickly (have got 6 month old and 2 yr old so want to make my site work in the hope of not going back to full time!). High hopes, I know.

fourlittlefeet Sat 18-Jul-09 12:25:51

anyone?

MrAnchovy Sat 18-Jul-09 20:23:41

If you are just starting out, I would recommend a pre-built e-commerce solution from someone like 123-reg or UK2.net.

If you are determined to try and integrate something yourself, look at Google Checkout, PayPal Website Payments and maybe WorldPay.

fourlittlefeet Sat 18-Jul-09 20:40:34

Thank you for responding. I am using a 1&1 package, but each time I think I'm there, I find I have to upgrade to get what I want. So its got a shop module, but no payment. I guess its either upgrade again (and rebuild the whole site again) or try and integrate one of the payment websites.

I wasn't sure whether I can just add paypal type buttons into the site, or whether I have to try and build a payment page to look more like my site as well. Can you advise at all?

MrAnchovy Sat 18-Jul-09 21:01:47

Yes you can just add buttons, although this will not give as professional a user experience as a full integration. The PayPal doucumentation shows you how to do it.

fourlittlefeet Sat 18-Jul-09 21:29:45

off to read it. thanks again. tis a minefield.

tinytalker Sat 18-Jul-09 21:36:39

Have you looked at the Mr.Site package? For £35 you can transfer your hosting and it gives you all the templates you need to build an e-commerce site, incorporating PayPal. I used it to build my site from scratch and I am a complete I.T. dunce. My site is up, running and selling. No problems.
I'm not saying it's the best site in the world but it does the job and I had little or no budget. I like the fact that I can go to it at any time and make changes instantly without having to wait for some webdesigner to do it at a cost!
www.alwaysreadthelabel.info

fourlittlefeet Sat 18-Jul-09 21:59:14

Thanks tiny. What a useful site!

My problem is that I've got a hosted package and have actually paid to create an eshop and pay monthly for the privilege. I thought I could just activate paypal, but it looks as though I can't. Its with 1&1. Not sure if anyone else has tried it. Really easy and the site looks good. Just that people can't pay, so its a bit of a waste of time so far! Think I'll have to call them as adding paypal buttons will mean I can't use the 1&1 cart system. hmm.

spritch Mon 20-Jul-09 17:05:12

Wordpress - wordpress - wordpress
It's free, it's completely open source and you can make it do anything you want with plugins other people have made - for free.
PS paypal is best to start out but if you start making some money take your time to look around for the best deal

nickelbabe Mon 20-Jul-09 17:16:45

i don't know what host you're using : i use Webeden now (after being with streamline.net ; useless, btw) and there's a PayPal widget thing.
webeden is really user-friendly too: you can completely design it all, but use their templates if you're bad at that sort of thing.
but defintely try paypal for payment (i think google has a payment system too: google checkout, but i don't know if it's any good...)

fourlittlefeet Thu 23-Jul-09 21:14:06

thanks for the tips! I've added paypal and will go and look at wordpress. maybe I can set it up then move across when its ready smile. what I'm using now looks great <<sheepish grin>> but its very pricey.

bettythebuilder Fri 24-Jul-09 11:28:59

I use romancart as a shopping cart on my website (www.chiggs.co.uk) it works well and isn't too pricey, I use paypal and nochex with it. If you've added paypal, Nochex may be worth a look as it works on the same lines (ie no upfront fees, charges per transaction) in fact the fees are slightly lower than paypal.

I also pay monthly to have Paypal Pro so that I can use my computer as a virtual terminal and take credit card payments over the phone. This is especially useful for me as I also sell my products wholesale, so can take orders and credit card payments direct from stockists, but I have friends with retail websites who take customer orders by phone or use a laptop as a terminal to take c/card payments at fairs/events.

don't know if this is relevant to your site!

fourlittlefeet Sat 25-Jul-09 20:10:59

thanks betty, its very interesting to know how others are doing this as my option is costly as I'm just starting up and sales are still gearing up. Can I ask you for any tips about advertising too? I like your product, by the way!

fatzak Sat 25-Jul-09 20:19:56

Now I know nothing about all this, but DH is a web designer and I was going to post the same as Spritch - he uses Wordpress and seems to be doing ok with it. There seems to be a great forum for advise and support as well.

(You weren't at the Wordpress gathering last weekend by any chance Spritch were you....?)

fourlittlefeet Sat 25-Jul-09 21:53:34

thank you, have yet to have a gander at it as research is so hard with two little ones, by the evening I just have to do the most important bits before I pass out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now