Talk

Advanced search

Want to start a small business selling cloth nappies but not a clue where to start

(8 Posts)
ellielou02 Fri 17-Jul-09 20:31:16

as in no idea at all, can anyone give me some pointers, basically I would like to have an online shop but would really like to sell and advise locally but not be tied to any company, I love using cloth and there is only one other shop that is local to me and it is in the next town, I would like to promote cloth and get the word out to my community that cloth has changed!

LackaDAISYcal Fri 17-Jul-09 22:48:10

Hi ellie; found you smile

I'm going to hang on your coattails as it were, but one suggestion I have is to start a thread in nappies/potty training as well, either repeating this or linking this thread, as there are a few nappy sellers on here smile

I had thought that becoming an adivsor for someone like lollipop or babykind would be a good introduction and a way of testing the market, but the lollipop advisor agreement basically bans you from having anything to do with any sort of nappy business (even working for a shop that sells them if I've interpreted the wording correctly, although I freely admit that I might not have) for 12 months after ceasing to be an advisor for them. I'm also a tester for another nappy manufacturer and suppose I would have to stop that if I decided to go forward with the lollipop thing as it might be seen as a conflict of interest, although it's a brand that lollipop sell so maybe not! I need to ask the question really.

But, the commission for lollipop is good
and they also have connections with other companies (perfectly happy people is one) so you can sell stuff from that catalogue and still get commission.

JennyPenny22 Fri 17-Jul-09 23:41:34

Hi ya! Ellielou - I have been wanting to do, almost the same thing! I have been doing Usborne books but just don't love them like I love Nappies! LOL.

I did enquire into both babykind and lollipop a while ago. Lollipop was a no go for me as you had to invest in a big trial kit. Babykind did advise you bought their nappy kit but when I spoke to the lady, she said I could just use what I had, providing I had a good range of their products, in good condition. I have so many nappies, I didn't want to spend an extra £200 on ones I couldn't use! Lol.

Babykind did also mention something about becoming an independant advisor where you were NOT tied to them, but could still stock their products.

The big thing for me, is that I want to sell the nappies that I have tried and tested and know works. If I had to sell things like bambino mio and stuff like that, my heart just wouldn't be in it!

Frizbe Fri 17-Jul-09 23:44:56

Why don't you contact http://www.bumfluffnappies.com/ she posts on here sometimes and will help you out happily (so long as she's feeling better as has had possible sf and is pregnant with no3)

LackaDAISYcal Sat 18-Jul-09 00:10:48

Jenny, I feel the same about things like prefolds and flat nappies, but as a business person you have to appreciate that some people like them and rate them. I think you need to give people the choice and be prepared to sell them the thing that's right for them rather than the thing that's right for you and that you like using. I'm not a fan of birth to potty nappies for example as I think they are too big and bulky on little babies, but the current nappy trend is for BTP (all the big brands are going down that route) as people are trying to be canny about their spending choices in the current economic climate. To not sell what you don't like is a quick route to business death I think.

JennyPenny22 Sat 18-Jul-09 00:29:09

I don't mean not to sell any flat nappies at all, obviously you need a bit of everything, but you can't sell every single brand and i just mean that I would like to choose what I sell, rather than with a company that tells you exactly what to sell.

Ie. If I found a nappy that I really loved, I want the option to sell it.

I don't see the point in having your own buissness if you can't choose how you run it.

ellielou02 Sat 18-Jul-09 08:40:16

Thanks for your replies ladies I will try and contact bumfluff and will look into babykind, I am a nurse at present but have cut my hours right down with a view to leaving my job (dh works away a month at a time) I have been trying to think of somethi ng to do and keep coming back to the nappies as it is something I feel quite passionately ??sp about. I too would like to sell the nappies i love and would extend to other ranges that I dont use but I know others do.

LackaDAISYcal Sat 18-Jul-09 09:53:35

ah iswym Jennypenny smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now