Talk

Advanced search

In taking on this new client, I've been --very-- naive, now I'm a bit stuck - advice from other PRs Marketing bods?

(16 Posts)
moodlumthehoodlum Wed 08-Jul-09 12:52:58

A few months ago, I took on a client and agreed to do PR for the launch of a particular product. It was out of my comfort zone, but the client is well connected and as I'm just starting out, it seemed to make sense.

Its a campaign, that if an agency did it, it would cost about £8,000, but I'm just doing it for £120 (yes you read that right). Naive? Oh yes.

Anyway - its now taking up all my time, I've done some great releases for her, but its just taking so long to ring it round and seems ridiculous to be doing this for essentially, nothing. So its immensely time consuming.

I should add that there is no contract, and all I've received is half the money, which frankly, if it came to it, I'd be happy to return.

What should I do? Is it bad business karma to walk away, or good business sense?

abraid Wed 08-Jul-09 12:58:10

I'd walk away. Or ask for a renegotiation.

It's been my experience that the less people pay you, the more hassle they are. I now only work for big corporations who pay me on time and know what they're employing me to do.

moodlumthehoodlum Wed 08-Jul-09 13:01:46

Thanks

She is a big networker on one of the entrepreneurial websites, so initially I thought that it would be good thing to do and thus get recommended on, but its too much I think.

I suppose that its all the learning curve that is starting out in business isn't it?

FlorenceandtheWashingMachine Wed 08-Jul-09 13:08:55

Where is she based? This sounds very similar to an experience I had doing PR for beauty products for a Mumsnetter. I negotiated a decent fee, but never received a bean from the ***!

moodlumthehoodlum Wed 08-Jul-09 13:31:18

ooh florence, she's not beauty, but fashion, but I reckon she might be a mner, and I know that she is a netmum..

I think I've just answered my own question haven't I..

potplant Wed 08-Jul-09 13:36:27

I did something very similar - not PR though. I agreed a good rate, but was too woolly in the brief. I ended up doing 20+ iterations of a flyer. An agency only does 3 tops. I worked out that the job was paying me an hourly rate less than minimum wage.

Considering you are doing the job for peanuts then it is probably better to walk away but if you want to keep her as a contact then you could approach and say that you have done as much as you can for the fee and you will be willing to carry on but need to agree new terms.

Is she really a good contact - have you got any other business out of her?

FlorenceandtheWashingMachine Wed 08-Jul-09 13:40:55

My * does fashion too, but I was doing beauty side for her. I would love to know if it is the same person. I have kept an eye out for her on here as I would love to dob her in.

I have considered going to small claims for the cash as I think what she did was appalling. My thieving * has an O' surmame and a lovely Irish accent. Ring any bells?

moodlumthehoodlum Wed 08-Jul-09 13:55:20

DIfferent ladies I think. She does a lot on Enterprise Nation, the website for entrepreneurs, and whilst the work I've done for her has been really good, I'm really nervous that she'll not be terribly helpful on that site, if I piss her off and walk away.

Its not an area I particularly want to grow my business in, I can honestly say that the work I've done for her has been of a good standard, but its so time consuming I'm working at less than £2.00 an hour for her atm, as DH just helpfully worked out for me.

She's not referred any business to me.

I think I need to walk. I was such a fool for agreeing to it all, but you live and learn.

potplant Wed 08-Jul-09 14:00:17

You only learn these lessons the hard way!

On the upside you have got yourself some good portfolio work - and as you haven't got a contract she can't object to you using it.

FlorenceandtheWashingMachine Wed 08-Jul-09 14:02:31

Don't feel too cross with yourself. I was very embarrassed when I was let down, but it taught me a lesson and made me wonder why I was using a 'middle woman' when I am more than capable of getting work and dealing with clients direct.

Run for the hills! £2/hr is an insult.

moodlumthehoodlum Wed 08-Jul-09 14:03:15

Good point pot plant.

I think I have to call her now.

She is so pushy. I feel slightly terrified at what her reaction will be.

missblythe Wed 08-Jul-09 14:06:15

God, what a apin in teh bum. How much longer have you got to go until it's completed? If you can bear to see it thru, I think I'd grit my teeth and get on with it, get so you can have teh completed project to show for it when you next go lookign for business.

If you can't face it, just cut and run!

FlorenceandtheWashingMachine Wed 08-Jul-09 14:17:10

Good luck. My mother's wisest expression is, "Nothing is ever as bad as you think it is going to be" smile

moodlumthehoodlum Wed 08-Jul-09 14:41:06

Result!

Florence, your mother was wise and right!

I've just had a productive conversation with her, thought of some ways to go forward, and I think it will all be ok.

Hurray!

potplant Wed 08-Jul-09 15:24:11

Well done!!

FlorenceandtheWashingMachine Wed 08-Jul-09 15:28:17

Yippee!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now