Talk

Advanced search

Anyone know about GCSE/A Level tutoring?

(10 Posts)
MamaHobgoblin Mon 29-Jun-09 12:54:26

And is this the right place to ask, or should I take myself off to Education? smile

I really need to bring in some income, and it has to be something very part-time, and fit in around DS, who's 16 months. My mum can babysit occasionally, as she lives reasonably close, and I can do evenings. I've been thinking for a while about tutoring or coaching GCSE and A Level students for specific subjects (I can cover Archaeology, Classical Studies, or History, and quite possibly History of Art and probably GCSE level English Literature too).

But I have no idea how people get started, or even if there's a demand for some of those more esoteric subjects. I mean, it's going to matter hugely if your child doesn't pass Maths or English Language, but Archaeology GCSE...? grin

So how do you get into this? More to the point, am I being naive to assume that having three degrees to PhD level in some of those subject areas, along with a lot of uni teacing experience, is enough, or would I need a PGCE or tutoring qualification as well? (In which case, I think it's a non-starter for me.)

Would be really interested to hear from anyone who's tutored at GCSE or A Level levels in any subject, please - how to get started, what you need, how it went, etc.

TIA!

MamaHobgoblin Mon 29-Jun-09 12:56:00

teaching experience. blush

TrillianAstrahasaJOB Mon 29-Jun-09 13:09:21

Wow, you have way too many degrees grin

One of my friends tutored Chemistry GCSE and A-level for a bit, she started with the son of a family friend and then got personal recomendations.

MamaHobgoblin Tue 30-Jun-09 10:22:19

Ok, so I should ask around and see if anyone has a teenager who's doing this sort of thing. All my friends have younger children at the moment...

Congratulations on your JOB! grin

mrsbaldwin Tue 30-Jun-09 20:30:27

Way back in the mists of time (about 15 years ago now) I used to tutor.

I first did it when I was a postgrad student, then again as a trainee and a new teacher (I'm not a teacher anymore but I was back then for a while).

Initially I worked through an agency - there are various about. They advertise in local papers and parents contact them, then the agency send the details through to you. You pay the agency a cut of your hourly rate.

I also had some word of mouth recommendations.

What parents wanted back then (and were prepared to pay for):
Key skills ie English and Maths at late primary and early secondary level
Prepping for London schools entrance exams

I'd be prepared to put money on that being what they still wanted.

I think I only ever had one A Level student, ever.

HTH.

brimfull Tue 30-Jun-09 20:48:32

Dd had an A level maths tutor.

We used a website called personal tutors I think

Paid £25/hr

will google

brimfull Tue 30-Jun-09 20:49:21

this one

brimfull Tue 30-Jun-09 20:51:23

dd did A level maths a yr early

quite a lot of kids do and lacked confidence -hence the tutoring

I don't know of anyone doing the subjects you mentioned

roisin Tue 30-Jun-09 21:47:12

I think to succeed you need to build up some detailed knowledge of the curriculum of the subjects you want to offer.

In general though, I wouldn't expect you'd get much demand, especially for those subjects. Round here most teachers offer a fair amount of free 'tutoring' themselves to GCSE and A Level students who are prepared to come in after hours for additional help and support with their work.

Tutoring is also something of a seasonal baby. Generally you get some interest around Jan/Feb (when they've just failed their mocks and/or are frantically trying to get the coursework knocked into shape before the deadlines) for a few months, and then little interest.

MamaHobgoblin Wed 01-Jul-09 13:31:07

Thanks - all very interesting!

I suspected that my subjects weren't going to be in high demand! sad It's just not going to be top priority, getting your child to pass history, is it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now