Talk

Advanced search

Accountants

(6 Posts)
conkertree Thu 25-Jun-09 20:12:56

I am setting up a wee business making kilts for adults and making and hiring them for children, and am looking for some advice from someone with accounting knowledge.

I dont expect to make a huge amount of money (just enough to allow me not to return to my current job when mat leave ends), so I am quite happy about doing my basic accounts.

Basically I'd like to know whether accountants, or those of you already with your own businesses, think that every small business can be helped by having an accountant, or whether if its quite simple accounting, the tax return etc can be done by the sole trader.

I dont want to spend all my profits on accounting advice, however acknowledge that a good accountant can help with advice on profits/ allowable expenses etc so can save you money too.

Would be grateful for any advice on how much you should expect to pay to have accounts looked at, your tax return checked, and additional advice if anything has been missed. Am based just north of Glasgow if that matters grin.

Thanks

bigspender30 Fri 26-Jun-09 15:55:37

How much do you expect to be turning over ? I am registered self employed and dont use an accountant. The pack you receive from HMRC is fairly comprehensive regarding expenses etc so unless its mega complex then you can prob do it yourself. What a fab business idea! I paid £62 to hire a kilt outfit for a 3 year old last week!

drippyl Fri 26-Jun-09 18:12:59

I am an accountant and I am also self employed (not as an accountant!) I do my own accounts but that really goes without saying lol!

If you do your own accounts it will give you a better picture of where your business is at as well as saving you money, it also depends on how disciplined you are and also how much spare time you have to devote to doing it.

If you keep your records up to date on a regular basis it will make life alot easier.

Hope that helps if you have any further questions give me a shout.

conkertree Sat 04-Jul-09 07:04:43

Thanks for the advice. Think I will start off doing them myself and then if I need advice when I do the tax return, I can ask specific things then.

TracyK Mon 06-Jul-09 14:02:37

Conkertree - I'm around glasgow - feel free to email me any questions - happy to help for free (or a mars bar!)

tracy at sammy23.freeserve.co.uk

conkertree Mon 13-Jul-09 18:07:48

Hi TracyK

Thanks very much for the offer. I have noted your address down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now