Talk

Advanced search

Please give your opinion on my craft idea

(42 Posts)
FlyMeToDunoon Fri 12-Jun-09 11:03:56

pics in moses basket liner folder
I thought as a small scale craft venture, of making moses basket liners. I got a second hand moses basket with no liner and as far as I know you cannot buy replacement liners so I made my own.
Opinions please if you would be so kind as to:
No hood-I didn't like a hood with my babies, it would be a lot of faff to make them but would that put others off?

The fact they tie on-some friends have expressed worries over strangulation but I think the ties are short enough and also on the outside.

Cost- about £45 posted.

Any other comments.

I am not touting for business. This is my only prototype. If past experience is anything to go by I may put all my materials back in the loft for a couple of years.

TIA

Disenchanted3 Fri 12-Jun-09 11:16:54

I think its beautiful,

i wouldn't worry about the ties, my M&P one had similar ties on.

They look really well made,

I think you should look into making hoods too as I wouldn't buy unless I could get one to match.

Price, IMO is a bit steep, I would say more £35 posted, but i knoww costs run up.

I really love it though, if DD wasn't out of hers I'd look into getting one done

Do you make buggy liners dunoon??

alicecrail Fri 12-Jun-09 11:20:51

That is beautiful.

Agree that £45 could put people off, and some people do like hoods.

It really does look good and very proffessional though, well done smile

alicecrail Fri 12-Jun-09 11:21:20

Sorry professional blush

FlyMeToDunoon Fri 12-Jun-09 11:23:55

Ok thanks so need to look into making hoods. Do you think £45 would be acceptable if it included hood?

Disenchanted3 Fri 12-Jun-09 11:24:44

If you are looking to do some practice work if you have anything else you do I like i'll happily be your guinnypig and cover costs grin

FlyMeToDunoon Fri 12-Jun-09 11:25:14

Thanks Dis smile
I made a liner for myself for my old M&P 3in1.

Disenchanted3 Fri 12-Jun-09 11:25:17

If it included hood yes, sounds perfect to me.

FlyMeToDunoon Fri 12-Jun-09 11:26:32

x post!

Trouble with liner is that they involve holes and they are scary!

Disenchanted3 Fri 12-Jun-09 11:28:35

pmsl , true.

I bet you could do bee hoods shock

Disenchanted3 Fri 12-Jun-09 11:29:07

sorry buggness invading moses thread - ignore me, i can't help it.

FlyMeToDunoon Fri 12-Jun-09 11:36:32

grin

Niecie Fri 12-Jun-09 11:41:40

That is gorgeous. Looks really well made and comfy.

My one question would be are all moses baskets the same size as the one in the picture seems to fit that basket really well and I am wondering if it would fit all baskets the same?

FlyMeToDunoon Fri 12-Jun-09 11:47:22

Ah yes. That moses basket is old and certainly the Mothercare ones are quite different-same height all round and bigger. So yes would have to be to fit Mothercare ones. I got a Mothercare one ages ago when I first had the idea and made a pattern from it. That has been in the loft for a year or so.
It also occured to me that since moses baskets are hand made they may have slight differences one from the other.

Aint nothin' simple!

oneforward20back Fri 12-Jun-09 11:48:39

they look lovely. Almost made me feel broody again, almost grin

OrangeFish Fri 12-Jun-09 11:51:54

I think that at £45 it is too expensive. But with a nice trendy classy fabric I might be swayed into buying one.

Heated Fri 12-Jun-09 12:04:12

I think it's beautiful & it's looks good quality but would consider £45 too steep. I'd pay a upto the price of a grobag (£35) but happier at the £25 mark, which no doubt wipes out your profitability.

Is there really much of a market for moses basket liner replacement? Just a thought - would it be worth sourcing moses baskets and offering the complete product - and this is where the profit margin comes back in? Maybe a designer label to attach to it and then marketing it somewhere between Mothercare and M&P prices? That I would buy.

FlyMeToDunoon Fri 12-Jun-09 12:26:45

Wow now there's a thought. Where I wonder would I get moses baskets.
Wouldn't need to worry about the product fitting different brands then.
off to google

Niecie Fri 12-Jun-09 12:28:07

I had no idea how much moses baskets were these days (9yrs since MIL bought ours) but the ones in Mothercare seem to be between £32 and £50 including the basket and mattress so I would agree the pricing needs looking at. People might just decide to buy a new one rather than buy a new liner.

I suppose you could do associated accessories to encourage them to make up a set - nappy hanger, accessories pocket hanger thing (can't think if they have a real name) maybe a nappy bag. That sort of ends up as a bit of a cottage industry though, doesn't it?

You could always try ebay as a means of seeing how much interest there is - have a look at the number of views - even if people don't bid/buy are they at least looking for something like this?

callalilies Fri 12-Jun-09 12:31:08

Yes I agree probably more of a moses basket complete product market.

You can easily get new moses baskets complete with liner and hood for about that price, so I think anyone who is happy to pay £45 for a liner might well just do that tbh.

FlyMeToDunoon Fri 12-Jun-09 12:46:48

The cheap moses basket have correspondingly cheap and thin liners.
My initial idea was for those people like me who were lent moses baskets or got second hand ones, or for a change of liner.

Niecie Fri 12-Jun-09 13:39:02

Fair enough - you are right that they are cheaper quality but you have to somehow market yours so the quality shines through when compared to the cheaper version.

Difficult to do unless you can see them in the flesh, so to speak.

Not trying to put you off - it is lovely.smile

callalilies Fri 12-Jun-09 13:44:45

I think the thing is that moses baskets are not used for very long at all, so perhaps people who borrow one or get one second hand are people who don't want to fork out money on something that won't be used for long. Therefore might they also not want to fork out £45 for a liner...?

People who would be happy to pay that much for a beautiful quality liner for a moses basket might also be the same people who don't mind paying £60-£80 for a complete new decent quality moses basket anyway?

new M&P for less than £70.

Also not trying to put you off, just playing devil's advocate a little bit to think of all potential problems so that you can work round them.

SOLOisMeredithGrey Fri 12-Jun-09 13:52:52

It is beautiful FMTD. I find that the items you make beautifully and lovingly take time, effort and patience and it's those things that the consumer doesn't want to pay for.

When I make my beautiful blankets, people don't realise that they take 10~12 hours each to make.
I tried the ebay route, had people looking, but no buyers and then ebay wrote to me asking if I was a business! no, I was testing the water...It's a mine field sadly and unfortunately £45 sounds a lot of money even though it isn't in terms of work.

overthemill Fri 12-Jun-09 14:14:29

it depends on who you are maketing to: Junior mag type people would pay that much easily - ie a new one for each child/change in sex
people like us would want a new one to go in teh old one they got from nct sale!
i think you do your basic and your up market - our fabric £x and 'your own fabric' x
make accessories but only to order.
eg changing bag, pocket hanger thingy, people like matching stuff

try red mag direct - they seem to have expensive stuff!
good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now