Talk

Advanced search

help please anyone who knows about mobile phones .....

(5 Posts)
loueyt Wed 10-Jun-09 20:24:17

I started my own business last October and have used an old nokia mobile we had hanging around and a buiness sim only deal. All fine but now things getting busy and I need to sort out my mobile working and IT although unfortunately complete muppet in that area !!

I would like a phone which has email, calendar etc which can be synched to my pc and possibly sat nav on it as well. Also can you get phones which you can use as wi-fi devices for your pc ? I have tried going to mobile shop but they just seem to be interested in whether it flips out or takes pictures so am completely confused and would be very grateful of any advice.

Previously had blackberry in old job but have been told it needs big orgnisation server type thing for it to work well.

Many many thanks

whomovedmychocolate Wed 10-Jun-09 22:25:39

you need an iphone or something like it - your best bet is actually the Carphone Warehouse, they are quite helpful. If you have a number you want to keep expect to pay about £30 to take it with you. Most phones can support calendars these days but you want one which has a good keyboard if you will use it a lot - which is why the iphone is probably good for you.

Don't got to phones4u. I like nokia's myself, I have an elderly one which I adore, but you really need a non manufacturer specific provider like the carphone warehouse to get a good selection and advice. Or look online for a basic guide to the latest technologies.

Re roaming internet on mobiles - yes you can, it's still a bit limited depending where you are - you can use a wireless dongle instead of your phone, or you can use the phone but it's getting cheaper all the time (though the reliability is a bit scatty).

VeeBee3 Wed 10-Jun-09 23:18:00

Whomoved... is right go to somewhere like carphone warehouse who can advise you on which provider and which phone. I would just like to add that i just changed network provider and took my number with me and didn't have to pay anything to do so. Think most of the networks do this for free now. You just request you PAC code from your old provider. Again this is something that carphone warehouse will help you with if you need to.

whomovedmychocolate Thu 11-Jun-09 07:13:49

Ooh you don't have to pay for the PAC code anymore - cool..... <wanders off with DHs mobile>

Dalrymps Sat 13-Jun-09 10:40:02

I would say if you do decide to change network then it's best to go to that network's store for your contract. The reason being that you will always get a better deal for minutes/texts/web time etc at the O2/Orange/etc shop than somewhere like carphone warehouse or Phones 4 U. In fact don't go to phones 4 U, they'll drag you in and make you get what you don't want.

I used to work for one of the networks which is how I know this...

An i iphone is a good idea. Ask to look at the 'smart phones' they have more features than standard phones and are best for connecting to pc/transfering data etc

Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now