Talk

Advanced search

Right. Today I am going to do my tax return.

(6 Posts)
Flibbertyjibbet Wed 10-Jun-09 11:28:11

And I'm not coming back on mumsnet till I've done it.
I've no paid work on today but still paying for the nursery, so I need to have a productive day. Decided to do my tax return. I put the computer on to get at the books I keep, and what do I find myself doing? Logging on to farking mumsnet!!! Argh there is no hope for me.

So, I am just stepping offline.... and I may be some time grin

Don't let me back on till I've done it grin
Bye!!

maidenvoyage Wed 10-Jun-09 21:41:45

Good luck, be brave lol

ChasingSquirrels Wed 10-Jun-09 21:48:45

is it done?
I did mine at the weekend, 2nd year in a row that I have done it before 25th December!

dotty2 Thu 11-Jun-09 14:18:36

Is it done? I need motivating to do mine. Last year was my first of freelancing, and am dreading it. I don't think I have all the records I need and can't quite face it -I'm also employed one day a week and hadn't realised I needed to keep records of expenses etc I was paid as an employee. I can't decide whether I should pay an accountant to do it, or miss goodness knows how many hours of potentially productive time doing it myself (just like am doing now - go do some work woman! Goes...)

Flibbertyjibbet Thu 11-Jun-09 14:45:44

Yes I did it by 3pm after starting it at 11.

Am so proud of myself, out of the way before our hol in a couple of weeks.

I will now commence the 7 months annual nagging session for dp to give me all the info to do his. I bet it will be a christmas holiday special again like every other year angry

it gets to november and he always says 'oh you might as well leave it till between xmas and new year the help lines are always quieter then'

I always reply that the IR help line or tax submission server is NEVER as busy in April May June July etc etc but it falls on deaf ears.

dotty from my own experience of starting self employment half way through a tax year, so had to do both as well the first year, its quite straight forward to do the tax return. I did mine the paper version the first year and sat with the help desk person on the phone to me as I filled it in.

If you are self emp just charging for your own time etc and not running a business with tons of staff, premises, vehicles etc then I would say go for it.

DP used to pay an accountant £300 a year to basically input all the figures that dp provided, and each year for 3 years in a row we got a late submission fine cos the accountant did it late. I kept saying I'd do it but dp thought it was something super-complicated that only an accountant could do. A self employed tax return is straightforward and you should def have a go. If it takes you a while this year then just think that next year when you know what you are doing, it won't take you any time at all so in the long run mucho accountants fees saved.

dotty2 Mon 15-Jun-09 12:06:50

Thanks, flibberty jibbet. We are off on hols next week and I will make it my Absolute Top Priority to do it when we get back. I guess like you say even if it takes a while it's time invested in learning how to do it. Thanks for the kick up the backside!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now